Subject: Questions on Cursors in PostgreSQL

From: Wei Shan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 18:07:57 +0100

Hi all,

I have some questions on PostgreSQL cursors (not PL/pgSQL but the libpq
implementation):

   1. What happens when my cursor hit the end of the table? Does it close
   automatically? I suppose if I declare it as a SCROLLABLE cursor, it should
   not close at all.
   2. If I have declared a cursor and the session got disconnected, can I
   reattach back to the cursor if I know the cursor name? I believe this is
   not possible but I'm not very sure.

Thanks!

-- 
Regards,
Ang Wei Shan

---

From: Dmitry Igrishin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 20:53:08 +0300

2017-06-27 20:07 GMT+03:00 Wei Shan <[email-masked]>:

> The lifetime of cursors created by the DECLARE ... SQL command longs until
the end of the session, or until it explicitly closed by either CLOSE ...
or DISCARD SQL commands.

>
>    1. If I have declared a cursor and the session got disconnected, can I
> When session ends all cursors are deallocated automatically. You should
open the new cursor on reconnect.

---

From: Wei Shan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 09:53:08 +0100

Thanks a lot!

On 27 Jun 2017 18:53, "Dmitry Igrishin" <[email-masked]> wrote: