Subject: Info on error `Connection to client lost`

From: mahendrakar s <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 22:57:32 +0530

Hi Pg team,

What are the scenarios under which we see `FATAL: Connection to client
lost`.
One case I could think of is client application closes connection abruptly
incase of exceptions(for example: column x is not found).
Can you please share what could be other scenarios we see this error.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Mahendrakar.

---

From: Larry Rosenman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 12:37:58 -0500

On 06/13/2022 12:27 pm, mahendrakar s wrote:

> One case I could think of is client application closes connection 
> abruptly incase of exceptions(for example: column x is not found).

Network connection dies due to network failure......

-- 
Larry Rosenman                     http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 214-642-9640                 E-Mail: [email-masked]
US Mail: 5708 Sabbia Dr, Round Rock, TX 78665-2106

---

From: Bzzzz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 19:47:53 +0200

On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 22:57:32 +0530
mahendrakar s <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi,

> Can you please share what could be other scenarios we see this error.

As Larry said, the most probable cause is a network problem.

The driver could also have a short default timeout, but it is
difficult to say  more, as you did not provide with any context, such
as, does it take place on the same machine or is it a machine to
machine link, which language was used to write the app, which driver is
in use, etc.

Jean-Yves