Subject: restore overwrite?

From: Anne Wainwright <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 09:50:18 +0200

Hi,

I want to do a restore to write over the top of existing data.

The unique key prevents this. Should I rather TRUNCATE the tables
concerned before the restore? That is a bit scary if the restore does
not work. Is there a better way.

(This data on v.8.4.4 which is being moved to latest version 14).

Thanks for answer in advance

Anne

---

From: "David G. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 09:31:11 -0700

> Thanks for answer in advance
If you cannot just do a simple restore into an empty v14 database you are
probably better off not thinking of this as a restore operation but instead
an ETL operation and write ETL code to extract data from the v8 database,
do any necessary transforms (possibly within the v14 database but within a
staging table), then merge the transformed data into the real v14 tables.

David J.