Subject: invalid memory alloc request size Error

From: "Roland Che" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 10:50:01 -0700

View attached file

City of Richmond Security Warning: This email was sent from an external source outside the City. Please do not click or open attachments unless you recognize the source of this email and the content is safe.

Hello All,

I am having below error when our ANALYZE script runs. Our maintenance
work_mem is set to 128M but when this analyze script is ran, the
maintenance work_mem is set to session level at 2G but we are still
getting the error on some table columns.

ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size 8589934668.

I saw a past dba had to disabled statistics by setting the statistics
value to 0 meaning stats will not be updated on such table columns. He
used these two commands to solve the error which kind of shows if
queries use those columns, like it will be slow as stats will not be
updated .

ALTER COLUMN position SET STATISTICS 0;

ALTER COLUMN position SET STORAGE EXTENDED;

Please can anyone advise on how to go about this error?
cpu 8
Ram 32 on that server.

Regards
Roland