Subject: Regclass what does reg mean

From: Cabe Steele <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 14:41:38 -0600

What does reg mean? Regclass regtype, regoper, etc

Thanks,

Cabe

---

From: "David G. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 13:49:18 -0700

> What does reg mean? Regclass regtype, regoper, etc
"registration id for a ..." seems like a good fit.

David J.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 15:54:42 -0500

> What does reg mean? Regclass regtype, regoper, etc

The origin is lost in the mists of time --- regproc dates back to
Berkeley times, and the rest of those were named on its precedent.
I've always supposed that it meant "registered", as in "entered in
the system catalogs", but I wasn't there when regproc was invented.

I wonder if there's any evidence for that ... [ digs ] ... ah-hah,
ref.cat in the Postgres v4r2 tarball, dated 03/13/94, says

        POSTGRES Type  Meaning                                 Required
        ...
        regproc        registered procedure                    *
	...

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 15:56:25 -0500

>         regproc        registered procedure                    *

Wow, nice sleuth work!

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        https://momjian.us
  EDB                                      https://enterprisedb.com

  If only the physical world exists, free will is an illusion.

---

From: "David G. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 13:57:39 -0700

> >         regproc        registered procedure                    *
I'm just hoping Tom is only a digital hoarder.

David J.