Subject: Re:

From: Johan Antonissen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 09:31:59 +0200

hello!

I’m trying to learn django using this
<https://www.feldroy.com/books/a-wedge-of-django> book.

It gives a great low-level tutorial for deploying djang on using
cookiecutter.

However when I try to deploy django and connect to my postgres server
postgres gives me a permission error:

python manage.py sqlcreate | sudo -u postgres psql -U postgres

results to:

Could not change directory ... permission deniedCREATE ROLECREATE DATABASEGRANT

The error arises on the part after | I’ve found out. My error is therefore
a postgres permission error rather than a django error I think.

I’ve found numerous people that are also facing permission errors when
using postgres but these solutions have however not helped me understand
and fix the error.

I’m running Fedora and systemctl and pg_isready shows everything should be
working correctly.

Should I just add the user postgres to my username group to fix this error
? Or does that create a security problem ?

This should be a fairly common error, but can anyone tell me why this is
occuring ?

Thank you in advance!

Johan
<http://www.young-energy.eu/>

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 09:54:11 -0400

> Could not change directory ... permission deniedCREATE ROLECREATE DATABASEGRANT

The "Could not change directory ... permission denied" part is mostly
cosmetic.  It happens when psql is invoked in a current working
directory that the postgres user can't read.  The fact that you're
getting "CREATE ROLE", "CREATE DATABASE", etc command completion
acknowledgements indicates that the SQL script is executing
successfully anyway.  So what you've showed us doesn't really
indicate that anything is wrong; although you could try it from
a publicly-readable starting directory if you want to be sure.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Josh Innis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 00:46:34 +0900

+1

---

From: Johan Antonissen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 20:06:43 +0200

Hello!

Ok thanx for the information the clarification! I’m getting a ton of errors
when I do a migration after running that line but then I guess there’s a
bug in the code of the book. I also see that it’s GitHub has not been
updated since 2021. I’m just going for another book then!

Thank you again for the help!

On Mon, 17 Apr 2023 at 17:46, Josh Innis <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> --
Met vriendelijke groet,

Johan Antonissen