Subject: Installation

From: Kristina J <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 22:19:20 -0400

Hello,

When I try to download Version 13 it always says download failed. So, I
tried to download 12.4 the version a step down. The installation screen
doesnt appear after it downloads and I double click the folder to start the
installation process. What can I do to fix this and start using postgresql?

Thank you in advance for your help.

---

From: Gerald Cheves <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 08:23:37 -0400

On 10/17/2020 10:19 PM, Kristina J wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I try to download Version 13 it always says download failed. So, 
> I tried to download 12.4 the version a step down. The installation 
> screen doesnt appear after it downloads and I double click the folder 
> to start the installation process. What can I do to fix this and start 
> using postgresql?
>

What site are you downloading from? I always use the EnterpriseDB site ( 
https://www.enterprisedb.com/ ).

- G

-- 
siamo arrivati sani e salvi

---

From: Kristina J <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 10:06:07 -0400

I used postgresql.org. But I can try the site you mentioned to see if that
works better.

---

From: Alejandro Román <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 14:29:07 -0500

> Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi Kristina,

Which operating system are you using?

Alejandro

---

From: Alejandro Román <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 14:56:45 -0500

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 03:36:04PM -0400, Kristina J wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 18, 2020, 3:29 PM Alejandro Román <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Alejandro,
> I have Windows 10.

I was able to download both the Windows 10's Postgres 13 and Postgres
12.4 installers. I didn't get any error, so I suspect the errors you are
seeing (both download failed and the lack of the installation screen)
may be due to your antivirus blocking the installers.

Are you using any antivirus? If so, would you consider disabling them
while downloading and installing Postgres? EnterpriseDB is one of the
top companies in the Postgres services industry, so I don't think they
may have introduced any malware in their installers.

Could you please also tell us which browser are you using for
downloading the installers?

By the way, please remember to CC the mailing list when replying.
Otherwise, only I will receive your answer.

Alejandro

---

From: Kristina J <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 17:22:56 -0400

I disabled my antivirus. I was using Mozilla to download but I just used
Chrome and was finally able to download version 13.

But, the installer screen still doesn't appear.  It asks if I want the file
to make changes on my computer. I click yes then nothing happens.

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020, 3:56 PM Alejandro Román <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > > > doesnt appear after it downloads and I double click the folder to
> start
> > > the

---

From: Alejandro Román <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 17:32:39 -0500

> to make changes on my computer. I click yes then nothing happens.

Could you try running the installer as an admin (by right-clicking the
installer and selecting "Run as an administrator"). The whole installation
process should be like
https://www.postgresqltutorial.com/install-postgresql/.

On the other side, could you please try to see if you can find the installer log
file and sending it? You can locate it following these instructions:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Troubleshooting_Installation#Collect_the_installer_log_file.

---

From: Kristina J <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 18:49:02 -0400

I tried run as an Administrator still nothing. I attached a zip file of the
installer log.

---

From: Alejandro Román <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 18:17:20 -0500

> I tried run as an Administrator still nothing. I attached a zip file of the

That log folder didn't tell us much about the error. I'm not sure if the
installer is executed at all. Some other things I think you could try
(if you haven't already):

1. Restart your computer, disable the antivirus again and then try
	 running the installer again as an administrator.
2. Make sure there aren't any other hidden files in the %TEMP% folder.
3. Make sure that you have all the requirements from the EDB
   installation guide [0].

If none of that works, I suggest you contact EDB support to ask them why
their installer may not be running. You can find their support email
address at [1].

[0] https://www.enterprisedb.com/edb-docs/d/postgresql/installation-getting-started/installation-guide/13.0/requirements_overview.html
[1] https://www.enterprisedb.com/edb-docs/d/postgresql/installation-getting-started/installation-guide/13.0/installation_troubleshooting.html

---

From: Kristina J <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 19:27:26 -0400

I'll try those steps and see if anything happens. Thank you for your help.

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020, 7:17 PM Alejandro Román <[email-masked]> wrote:

> [0]
> https://www.enterprisedb.com/edb-docs/d/postgresql/installation-getting-started/installation-guide/13.0/requirements_overview.html
> [1]
> https://www.enterprisedb.com/edb-docs/d/postgresql/installation-getting-started/installation-guide/13.0/installation_troubleshooting.html
>