Subject: Todo item: distinct clause - guidance

From: Ankit Kumar Pandey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 18:39:02 +0530

Hi,

I was looking for some to-do item to pick up and came across /'Implement 
DISTINCT clause in window aggregates'. /Can someone please//elaborate 
what is expectation here? Do feature request still exists as //DISTINCT/ 
/worked as expected if we try functions like avg(distinct col)?/
/

Thanks,

Ankit/
/

---

From: Laurenz Albe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 20:12:58 +0100

On Sun, 2022-11-06 at 18:39 +0530, Ankit Kumar Pandey wrote:
> I was looking for some to-do item to pick up and came across 'Implement DISTINCT
> clause in window aggregates'. Can someone pleaseelaborate what is expectation here?
> Do feature request still exists as DISTINCT worked as expected if we try functions
> like avg(distinct col)?

Whis is about window functions, like

  WITH q(a,b) AS (VALUES (1, 1), (1, 1), (2, 1))
  SELECT *,
         count(DISTINCT a) OVER (PARTITION BY b)
  FROM q;

  ERROR:  DISTINCT is not implemented for window functions
  LINE 3:        count(DISTINCT a) OVER (PARTITION BY b)
                 ^

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

---

From: Ankit Kumar Pandey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 01:02:41 +0530

>    LINE 3:        count(DISTINCT a) OVER (PARTITION BY b)

Thanks a lot Laurenz, I got the issue now. I was looking at aggregation 
function without windowing.

I will revisit this again.

Thanks,

Ankit