Subject: psqlODBC development and support

From: Michael Binder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 13:31:32 +0000

I'm evaluating the postgresql odbc drivers and having a very difficult time building them on Linux (the configure step fails for several reasons).  I noticed that they have not been updated in quite a while (the version 13.02 is considerably behind the current postgres version) - are they still being developed and maintained?  Is there a particular version of Postgresql that they are supposed to be built against as the configure errors indicate that's the case I.e. "configure: error: libpq library version >= 9.2 is required" and "invalid value of canonical build" .  I can't find any documentation that states what the story is.

Thanks
Michael Binder
Software Engineer at HCL Technologies
::DISCLAIMER::
________________________________
The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended for the named recipient(s) only. E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission. The e mail and its contents (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written consent of authorized representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses and other defects.
________________________________

---

From: Clemens Ladisch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 19:45:49 +0100

On 07.02.2023 14:31, Michael Binder wrote:
> I noticed that they have not been updated in quite a while (the version
> 13.02 is considerably behind the current postgres version)

The ODBC driver just has to send SQL queries to server and to return the
results.  The network protocol has not changed in a long time.

The primary reason to use a new driver would be support for new encryption/
authentication algorithms.  But version 13.02 is still fine.

> configure: error: libpq library version >= 9.2 is required

Do you have the libpq _development_ package installed?

Regards,
Clemens

> The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential ...

This e-mail contains public information intended for any subscriber of
this mailing list and for anybody else who bothers to read it; it will
be copied, disclosed and distributed to the public.  If you think you
are not the intended recipient, please commit suicide immediately.
These terms apply also to any e-mails quoted in, referenced from, or
answering this e-mail, and supersede any disclaimers in those e-mails.
Additionally, disclaimers in those e-mails will incur legal processing
fees of $42 per line; you have agreed to this by reading this notice.