Subject: PostGres ODBC too slow

From: vedant patel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 11:47:03 +0530

Hello There,

Recently, we've encountered some performance issues with the ODBC driver
provided by Postgres. Upon investigation, we noticed that switching from
the UNICODE to ANSI driver resulted in performance improvements for some
queries, albeit at the expense of others.

To delve deeper into this matter, I conducted tests using a Python script
with the psycopg2 library, and the results were significantly better.
However, to address this issue comprehensively, I've explored alternative
ODBC drivers available in the market. While some minor improvements were
observed in a few queries with a different driver, the overall performance
remains a concern.

Given your extensive experience in this area, I would greatly appreciate
your insights and recommendations on which ODBC driver would be most
suitable for our use case. Any advice or suggestions you could offer would
be immensely helpful in resolving this performance issue.

Let me know in case of any questions or concerns.

Thanks,

---

From: Dave Cramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 14:49:21 -0400

Can you explain where/why you think it is too slow ?

Dave Cramer
www.postgres.rocks

---

From: vedant patel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 11:22:00 +0530

Hello Dave,

We have tried the retrieval using python library psycopg2 and found that it
is taking less amount of time for retrieval. And when we create odbc and
use pyodbc it is taking a large amount of time for that odbc. Along with
that our main application is in PowerBuilder and we need to use ODBC for
that one. We checked the ODBC driver with PowerBuilder and it is taking too
much time.

Thanks,

---

From: Dave Cramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 07:17:29 -0400

HI Vedant,

Can you share the SQL that is slow. We can't fix this if we don't have a
specific problem to look at.

Dave Cramer
www.postgres.rocks

On Wed, 20 Mar 2024 at 02:08, vedant patel <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello Dave,
>
> We have tried the retrieval using python library psycopg2 and found that
> it is taking less amount of time for retrieval. And when we create odbc and
>>> To delve deeper into this matter, I conducted tests using a Python
>>> script with the psycopg2 library, and the results were significantly
>>> better. However, to address this issue comprehensively, I've explored
>>> alternative ODBC drivers available in the market. While some minor
>>> improvements were observed in a few queries with a different driver, the
>>> overall performance remains a concern.
>>>

---

From: Jacobo Sánchez López <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 12:30:02 +0100

Hi

     Environment is also important. Are you using connecting through LAN 
or WAN?

     WAN communications  are impacted by the size of the data 
transmitted (and also for not using the network to receive data while 
processing previously obtained data). ODBC driver as far as I know does 
use text data serialization which may be bigger than other pg clients. 
Not having compression does also affect WAN communications but that is 
postgres related so other clients would be in the same boat.

Best regards

Jacobo

El 20/03/2024 a las 12:17, Dave Cramer escribió:
> HI Vedant,
>
> Can you share the SQL that is slow. We can't fix this if we don't have 
> a specific problem to look at.
>
> Dave Cramer
> www.postgres.rocks
>
>
>     We have tried the retrieval using python library psycopg2 and
>     found that it is taking less amount of time for retrieval. And
>     when we create odbc and use pyodbc it is taking a large amount of
>     time for that odbc. Along with that our main application is in
>     PowerBuilder and we need to use ODBC for that one. We checked the
>     ODBC driver with PowerBuilder and it is taking too much time.
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     On Tue, Mar 19, 2024 at 12:19 AM Dave Cramer
>     <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>             Recently, we've encountered some performance issues with
>             the ODBC driver provided by Postgres. Upon investigation,
>             we noticed that switching from the UNICODE to ANSI driver
>             resulted in performance improvements for some queries,
>             albeit at the expense of others.
>
>             To delve deeper into this matter, I conducted tests using
>             a Python script with the psycopg2 library, and the results
>             were significantly better. However, to address this issue
>             comprehensively, I've explored alternative ODBC drivers
>             available in the market. While some minor improvements
>             were observed in a few queries with a different driver,
>             the overall performance remains a concern.
>
>             Given your extensive experience in this area, I would
>             greatly appreciate your insights and recommendations on
>             which ODBC driver would be most suitable for our use case.
>             Any advice or suggestions you could offer would be
>             immensely helpful in resolving this performance issue.
>