Subject: Linux 7.0 performance degradation

From: Rick Otten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2026 10:12:18 -0400

I read this article of the weekend which was reporting that the latest
Linux kernel kills postgresql performance:
https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-7.0-AWS-PostgreSQL-Drop

I haven't seen any discussion here about this yet and was wondering what
your thoughts are?  Are we doing to have to upgrade our postgresql versions
before we can upgrade our Linux kernel?  Are there any hacks or tricks or
workarounds to help mitigate this issue?

Is it real?

---

From: Andreas Karlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2026 16:59:42 +0200

On 4/6/26 4:12 PM, Rick Otten wrote:
> https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-7.0-AWS-PostgreSQL-Drop <https:// 
> www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-7.0-AWS-PostgreSQL-Drop>
> 
> your thoughts are?  Are we doing to have to upgrade our postgresql 
> versions before we can upgrade our Linux kernel?  Are there any hacks or 
> tricks or workarounds to help mitigate this issue?
> 
> Is it real?

I recommend reading the linked thread[1] at LKML where Andres determined 
that the regression is likely only present when you do not use huge 
pages. So as long as you make sure that you use huge pages, which you 
should anyway, there is no need to worry about this regression. You can 
also read some discussion at Hacker News where Andres () is also 
involved in the discussion[2].

1. 
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/xxbnmxqhx4ntc4ztztllbhnral2adogseot2bzu4g5eutxtgza@dzchaqremz32/
2. https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=47644864

Andreas