Subject: WG: [postgis-users] PostgreSQL 12 and PostGIS

From: "Stefan Wolf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2019 19:32:09 +0200

PostgreSQL 12 - PostGIS.

Please take a look.

Greetings from Berlin

-Stefan Wolf-

Von: postgis-users [mailto:[email-masked]] Im Auftrag
von Regina Obe
Gesendet: Freitag, 4. Oktober 2019 17:16
An: 'PostGIS Users Discussion'
Betreff: Re: [postgis-users] PostgreSQL 12 and PostGIS

Stefan,

Which distro do you get your PostgreSQL 12 from.  I'm assuming
apt.postgresql.org

If so you should report on their mailing list, as that would be a packaging
bug,not a PostGIS one and no one on the PostGIS project is on the apt team.

https://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-pkg-debian/

Thanks,

Regina

From: postgis-users [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Stefan Wolf
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2019 6:19 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [postgis-users] PostgreSQL 12 and PostGIS

Today I've installed the brand new PostgreSQL 12  on Ubuntu 18.04

"apt-get install postgis"  will install PostGIS 2.5.2, but the  PATH is
wrong:  /usr/share/postgresql/11/.

So CREATE EXTENSION postgis will fail.

Greetings from Berlin

-Stefan Wolf-

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2019 17:19:49 +0200

Re: Stefan Wolf 2019-10-05 <[email-masked]>
> So CREATE EXTENSION postgis will fail.

Hi Stefan,

it's never been the expectation that "postgis" will install the
correct PostGIS version for the correct PostgreSQL version. If there's
only one version to choose from in a single Debian distribution, it
will work, but as soon as there's several versions to choose from like
in apt.postgresql.org, you should explicitly select a version:

apt install postgis postgresql-11-postgis-2.5

That said, we don't have postgis 2.5 packages for PG 12 yet.

Christoph