Subject: postgresql-10 failing to install on Bionic

From: Joe Siewert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 15:40:24 -0700

Hi,

Getting an error installing 10.12 since the release on 2/13/20.  When
installing the postgresql-10 package on Ubuntu Bionic I get the following
error:

"Selecting previously unselected package postgresql-client-10.", "Preparing
to unpack .../1641-postgresql-client-10_10.12-1.pgdg18.04+1_amd64.deb ...",
"Unpacking postgresql-client-10 (10.12-1.pgdg18.04+1) ...", "dpkg: error
processing archive
/tmp/apt-dpkg-install-oozGGW/1641-postgresql-client-10_10.12-1.pgdg18.04+1_amd64.deb
(--unpack):", " trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/postgresql/10/bin/pg_config',
which is also in package postgresql-server-dev-10 10.12-0ubuntu0.18.04.1",
"dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)"

Other releases from last week like 9.x and 11 seem to be working fine.
Doing this on a fresh install of Bionic.  Thanks!

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 11:03:49 +0100

Re: Joe Siewert 2020-02-19 <[email-masked]>
> which is also in package postgresql-server-dev-10 10.12-0ubuntu0.18.04.1",

When I moved pg_config from postgresql-server-dev-* to
postgresql-client-*, I put versioned restrictions in place for the
version where the file was moved. However, I forgot that the
postgresql packages in the base systems are also updated, but don't
have that change, so we have unhandled file conflicts.

I'll fix that, I need to update the pgapt packages for a different
problem in the same area anyway.

Thanks for reporting!

Christoph

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 22:04:37 +0100

Re: To Joe Siewert 2020-02-20 <[email-masked]>
> problem in the same area anyway.

Fwiw, this has happened a week ago or so.

Christoph