Subject: No PGDG package for ARM architecture

From: Amit Khandekar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 11:20:20 +0530

Hi,

I don't find any packages on ARM archictecture (e.g. aarch64) in any of the
repositories. E.g. I checked here :
https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/pool/10/p/postgresql-10/ .
But I could find such packages in the Ubuntu repository :
https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/arm64/postgresql-10/download
I am also able to install PostgreSQL on an Ubuntu on aarch64 using apt-get,
bring up the server, and do sanity. I wonder then why we don't provide
these packages.
We also have a buildfarm periodic build on aarch64:
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_history.pl?nm=eelpout&br=HEAD

The page https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt/FAQ says :
"The PGDG packages are built from the same source as the Debian packages
(Ubuntu is using the same source for the PostgreSQL server packages as
well). We try to follow Debian unstable's versions as close as possible"

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 10:05:37 +0100

Re: Amit Khandekar 2020-03-13 <[email-masked]>
> From the above, I expected that because Ubuntu provides a PostgreSQL
> installable, PostgreSQL also should provide the same through
> apt.postgresql.org ? Am I missing something ?

"Same source" doesn't imply that the same set of architectures is
covered. We are also missing more than a dozen others that Debian is
covering:

https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=postgresql-12

> I believe due to the absence of these packages in PostgreSQL repositories,
> there is no mention of aarch(64) in the PostgreSQl downloads website :
> https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/

Are you able to provide a build host for arm64? Specs would be
something like >= 8 cores, 8 GB of RAM, 100 GB disk, root access.

Christoph

---

From: Amit Khandekar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 10:08:36 +0530

On Fri, 13 Mar 2020 at 14:35, Christoph Berg <[email-masked]> wrote:
> covered.

Hmm, right. The thing I was actually wondering was, *why* the same
architectures are not covered by PGDG.

> We are also missing more than a dozen others that Debian is
> covering:
>

As of now, I am not sure, but if required I will at least try to see
if that can be arranged.

So, when we see that there are N number of OS/architecture
combinations for which PGDG does not provide packages, is it so
because we don't have dedicated machines satisfying the minumum
requirements like RAM/core/disk ? In other words, is it only a matter
of providing such machine and adding it up in the buildfarm members
where it passes the regression tests, or there are are some more
requirements over and above the machine resource requirements after
which PGDG can officially support those OS/architecture combinations ?

Thanks
-Amit Khandekar
Huawei Technologies

---

From: Amit Khandekar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 10:14:50 +0530

> which PGDG can officially support those OS/architecture combinations ?

I see that there is already an aarch64 buildfarm member which is
passing the tests regularly :
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_history.pl?nm=eelpout&br=HEAD

Thanks,
-Amit Khandekar
Huawei Technologies

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 13:41:45 +0100

Re: Amit Khandekar 2020-03-16 <CAJ3gD9e2Q9MQxa3DTbS8Jo9D_3GTKrWHyzQvqRuypHBX-=[email-masked]>
> which PGDG can officially support those OS/architecture combinations ?

The buildfarm machines have nothing to do with the build daemons
behind apt.postgresql.org or yum.postgresql.org; they are entirely
different infrastructure.

I guess asking the buildfarm operators if they can spare machines as
build daemons might work, but I haven't had the time to dig into that.
If you care about a specific architecture, it would be nice if you
could arrange that.

Christoph

---

From: Amit Khandekar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 17:45:46 +0530

> different infrastructure.

Ok.

> If you care about a specific architecture, it would be nice if you

I just checked; it is possible for me to arrange for an aarch64 VM

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 17:43:58 +0100

Re: Amit Khandekar 2020-03-17 <[email-masked]>
> > something like >= 8 cores, 8 GB of RAM, 100 GB disk, root access.

Cool!

Christoph