Subject: arm64 on apt.postgresql.org

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 11:35:55 +0200

# arm64 on apt.postgresql.org

The apt.postgresql.org repository has been extended to cover the arm64
architecture.

HUAWEI Cloud Services donated a arm64 build host with enough resources
to build the arm64 packages at the same speed as the existing amd64,
i386, and ppc64el architectures.

We are targeting Debian buster (stable), bullseye (testing), and sid
(unstable), and Ubuntu bionic (18.04) and focal (20.04). To use the
arm64 archive, just add the normal sources.list entry:

deb https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt buster-pgdg main

# Ubuntu focal

At the same time, I've added the next Ubuntu LTS release to apt.postgresql.org:
focal (20.04). It ships amd64, arm64, and ppc64el binaries.

deb https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt focal-pgdg main

# Old PostgreSQL versions

Many PostgreSQL extensions are still supporting older server versions that are
EOL. For testing these extension, server packages need to be available. I've
built packages for PostgreSQL 9.2+ on all Debian distributions, and all Ubuntu
LTS distributions. 9.1 will follow shortly.

This means people can move to newer base distributions in their .travis.yml,
.gitlab-ci.yml, and other CI files.

Christoph

---

From: David Steele <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 16:49:31 -0400

Hi Christoph,

> LTS distributions. 9.1 will follow shortly.

Thank you so much for this!

How far down are you planning to go? pgBackRest currently supports 
PostgreSQL >= 8.3, though were are considering dropping 8.3/8.4 support 
soon. Maybe it's time to let 9.0 go as well, but would be good to know 
if you plan to add it.

Currently the distro versions (Debian and RHEL) we are using to test 
8.3-9.0 are all EOL, which is obviously not ideal, though we have not 
had any issues building (yet).

Regards,
-- 
-David
[email-masked]

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 10:36:56 +0200

Re: David Steele 2020-05-04 <[email-masked]>
> soon. Maybe it's time to let 9.0 go as well, but would be good to know if
> you plan to add it.

Hi David,

it's great to get feedback on that bit so I know people are actually
using these things.

For Debian/sid, there are already packages all the way back until 8.2,
so it will probably not be hard to extend the coverage to these. It
will need a bit more work because the packages were only made for sid,
and possibly need some readjustments for the other distributions.

The problem with 9.0 is that it doesn't support arm64, but I can
exclude the architecture from that package.

> Currently the distro versions (Debian and RHEL) we are using to test 8.3-9.0
> are all EOL, which is obviously not ideal, though we have not had any issues
> building (yet).

I guess I should put a version matrix into the wiki page with the
version coverage.

Christoph
-- 
Senior Berater, Tel.: +49 2166 9901 187
credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080, USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz, Sascha Heuer
Unser Umgang mit personenbezogenen Daten unterliegt
folgenden Bestimmungen: https://www.credativ.de/datenschutz

---

From: David Steele <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 16:04:17 -0400

> exclude the architecture from that package.

If 9.0 turns out to be a real problem don't worry about it. We can still 
do 9.0 testing on Ubuntu 14.04 which will hopefully be around for a 
while even though it is EOL. I just rebuilt the 12.04 test container 
today and that worked fine. We'll probably keep testing on 12.04 until 
it stops working because old OS versions provide extra coverage.

We've done some manual testing on arm64 and plan to add it to our CI 
matrix but we're not worried about 9.0 support on that platform.

> I guess I should put a version matrix into the wiki page with the

That would probably be helpful. We figured it out by trial and error 
(and peeking in the repo).

Regards,
-- 
-David
[email-masked]

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 22:13:02 +0200

Re: David Steele
> If 9.0 turns out to be a real problem don't worry about it. We can still do
> 9.0 testing on Ubuntu 14.04 which will hopefully be around for a while even
> though it is EOL. I just rebuilt the 12.04 test container today and that
> worked fine. We'll probably keep testing on 12.04 until it stops working
> because old OS versions provide extra coverage.

9.0 and 8.4 are now there as well.

> That would probably be helpful. We figured it out by trial and error (and
> peeking in the repo).

(TBD)

Christoph

---

From: David Steele <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 16:30:55 -0400

> 9.0 and 8.4 are now there as well.

Yes, I saw that, thank you!

Now I can test across all the versions we support on my default 
developement system. That's very helpful.

Regards,
-- 
-David
[email-masked]

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 09:53:07 +0200

Re: David Steele
> Now I can test across all the versions we support on my default developement
> system. That's very helpful.

Cheers :)

Christoph