Subject: oauth support?

From: Troels Arvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2025 08:40:43 +0100

Hello,

I'm reading about the new OAuth support in PostgreSQL 18. It says 
PostgreSQL needs to be built using "--with-libcurl".

In the PostgreSQL I get when using apt.postgresql.org, I don't see 
anything about curl in output from "ldd 
/usr/lib/postgresql/18/bin/postgres", nor from "ldd 
/usr/lib/postgresql/18/bin/psql".

Should I expect to be able to use the new OAuth feature in PostgreSQL 18 
with the packages from apt.postgresql.org? If so: Do I need to install a 
particular, extra package for it to be available?

Thanks for providing APT repos of PostgreSQL.

-- 
Troels

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2025 08:44:00 +0100

Re: Troels Arvin
> particular, extra package for it to be available?

Yes, libpq-oauth.

Christoph

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2025 10:45:28 +0300

Hi,

On Wed, 2025-12-10 at 08:40 +0100, Troels Arvin wrote:
> Should I expect to be able to use the new OAuth feature in PostgreSQL
> 18  with the packages from apt.postgresql.org? If so: Do I need to
> install a particular, extra package for it to be available?

OAuth support is in the libpq-oauth (sub)package. RPMs also split that
into -libs-oauth subpackage for security concerns over curl.

Regards,
-- 
Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, PostgreSQL Major Contributor
BlueSky: @devrim.gunduz.org , @gunduz.org

---

From: Álvaro Hernández <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2025 13:45:15 +0100

> into -libs-oauth subpackage for security concerns over curl.

     Hi.

     From what I can see, the package libpq-oauth contains the file:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpq-oauth-18.so

which is dynamically loaded by Postgres, see 
https://github.com/postgres/postgres/blob/master/src/interfaces/libpq/fe-auth-oauth.c#L818

     WRT libcurl, it's not linked but shows in pg_config:

$ pg_config |grep -o "with-libcurl"
with-libcurl

     Regards,

     Álvaro

-- 

Alvaro Hernandez

-----------
OnGres