Subject: PG16 test packages?

From: David Steele <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 21:13:59 +0300

Is there an expected date when test packages for PG16 will be available?

We are working on PG16 support for the May release of pgBackRest and 
would prefer to use test packages (if they are available) rather than 
build from source.

Thanks!
-David

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 13:41:22 +0200

Re: David Steele
> We are working on PG16 support for the May release of pgBackRest and would
> prefer to use test packages (if they are available) rather than build from
> source.

Hi David,

PG16 packages have already been around for some months, but they are
in a separate archive area:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt/FAQ#Development_snapshots

Christoph

---

From: David Steele <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 14:58:08 +0300

> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt/FAQ#Development_snapshots

Ah, thanks! Looks like that works.

I was using my code from last year updated for PG16: 
https://github.com/pgbackrest/pgbackrest/commit/20782c88bc8d0842d547bd5f4fecdb292e69d1f7#diff-8b97341571bc2625c64507d8d298aaa5dca8ceeb20754c7f164906e6ba44999dR508

 > deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ $(lsb_release -s 
-c)-pgdg-testing main 16

Seems like -testing was available about this time last year since we 
committed PG15 support on May 4. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
-David

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 16:04:42 +0200

Re: David Steele
> committed PG15 support on May 4. Am I missing something?

Until some time last year, postgresql-devel was a special build job in
our Jenkins for building snapshots. Now all packages have grown that
ability, and the binaries from that are in the *-pgdg-snapshot suites.

Christoph

---

From: David Steele <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 20:22:44 +0300

> ability, and the binaries from that are in the *-pgdg-snapshot suites.

Got it, thanks!

-David