Subject: PostGIS 2.5 for PostgreSQL 14 or Debian 11 ?

From: Christophe Courtois <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 14:47:26 +0200

Hi,

1) On Ubuntu 20.04 or Debian 10, the following packages do exist:

postgresql-13-postgis-2.5
postgresql-13-postgis-3
postgresql-14-postgis-3

But I cannot found PostGIS 2.5 for PG 14.

Is PostGIS 2.5 already deprecated?

(If I understand, it was not supported for PG13 [1],
but the package does exist.)

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/UsersWikiPostgreSQLPostGIS

2) PostGIS 2.5 does not seem available on Debian 11, whatever the PG
version.
I suppose there is  some dependency issue.

All the documentation that I found deals with older versions, so  I just
ask. 2.5 postgis on PG14 would be useful for some migrations.

Thanks for any info.

-- 
Christophe Courtois
Consultant Dalibo
https://dalibo.com/

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 19:19:30 +0200

Re: Christophe Courtois

Hi,

yes 2.5 is deprecated. I got it working for PG13 to help people
upgrading. I do not plan to repeat that tour de force again. (There
were lots of minor problems to ignore on the way.)

> I suppose there is  some dependency issue.

Debian 11 is new, please use postgis 3 for new setups, or upgrade
postgis first.

> ask. 2.5 postgis on PG14 would be useful for some migrations.

Please upgrade to postgis 3 on the old PG version first (or migrate
both PG and postgis at the same time).

Christoph