Subject: Check whether binaries can be released for s390x

From: Namrata Bhave <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 12:56:49 +0000

Hi,

We are looking forward to get help from community on publishing s390x binaries. As per downloads page, apt repo supports Ubuntu on amd,arm,i386 and ppc64le.
We had reached out earlier and are ready to provide infra if needed. Wanted to check again if community is willing to help.

Thank you,
Namrata

---

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 09:23:16 -0400

Hi Namrata,

On 4/4/23 8:56 AM, Namrata Bhave wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> We are looking forward to get help from community on publishing s390x 
> binaries. As per downloads page, apt repo supports Ubuntu on 
> amd,arm,i386 and ppc64le.
> 
> We had reached out earlier and are ready to provide infra if needed. 
> Wanted to check again if community is willing to help.

It'd be better to discuss on [email-masked] -- that's 
the mailing list for the website.

Thanks,

Jonathan

---

From: Namrata Bhave <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 13:30:34 +0000

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for getting back.

The request is mainly for the developer community to build and publish s390x binaries, apologies if I wasn't clear earlier.
We can provide s390x VMs to build and test postgresql binaries if you feel infra is a blocker.

Please let me know if any more information is needed.

Thank you,
Namrata

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan S. Katz <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Tuesday, April 4, 2023 6:53 PM
To: Namrata Bhave <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Cc: Vibhuti Sawant <[email-masked]>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Check whether binaries can be released for s390x

Hi Namrata,

> Wanted to check again if community is willing to help.

It'd be better to discuss on [email-masked] -- that's the mailing list for the website.

Thanks,

Jonathan

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 16:32:56 +0200

> Please let me know if any more information is needed.

I think the audience that needs to hear this is
[email-masked].

-- 
Álvaro Herrera

---

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 11:03:37 -0400

> Please let me know if any more information is needed.

As Jonathon said, this discussion is not pertinent to this mailing
list. Please use the correct mailing list.

I'm not sure that anyone is going to want to undertake this effort for
free even if you're willing to provide the hardware for free. But your
chances will be a lot better if you ask on the correct mailing list.

Thanks,

-- 
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: Thomas Munro <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 10:57:27 +1200

> chances will be a lot better if you ask on the correct mailing list.

Isn't the right place for this the APT packaging team[1]'s list at
[email-masked]?  Not something I'm involved in
myself, but AFAIK it's the same team working on Debian etc packages
and they do get built for s390x already[2] so I guess this is about
doing the same for the PGDG repos, so this is a packaging topic, not a
web topic, and this list wasn't a bad place to start...

[1] https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt
[2] https://packages.debian.org/search?arch=s390x&keywords=postgresql-15

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 18:36:02 -0700

Re: Alvaro Herrera

Hi Namrata,

we are interested. To be on par with the other architectures we
support, we'd need access to a build machine with 150GB of
disk, 16GB RAM and 8 cores. Host OS Debian stable, root access.

This would be for the Debian/Ubuntu part; the rpm/yum folks have
different requirements. (I'm adding Devrim on Cc.)

Is that something that IBM can arrange?

Last time we tried to set this up the showstopper were unreasonable
legal requirements from the IBM side, we were asked to sign documents
that went far beyond what usual agreements between open source
projects and hardware providers are. Fingers crossed this time. :)

> > Wanted to check again if community is willing to help.

Thanks,
Christoph