Subject: Plans for GEOS 3.9 packaging?

From: Andreas Neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 18:15:10 +0200

Hi,

I was wondering if you have plans to package GEOS 3.9.x together with
Postgis 3.1 during the year 2021?

In my day job I would need to use some new Postgis 3.1 functions that are
only available if Postgis was compiled against GEOS 3.9.x, such as
https://postgis.net/docs/ST_MaximumInscribedCircle.html - and we would also
like to use the new gridSize parameters for limited accuracy in the Overlay
functions. Those are also only available if Postgis was compiled against
GEOS 3.9

Our sysadmins only want to install official Debian and PGDG-Repo packages.
We have plans to update our DB in November or December 2021 and it would be
great if GEOS 3.9.x would be available in the PGDG-Repo then?

Thank you for your reply,
Andreas

--
Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)

---

From: Imre Samu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 19:33:26 +0200

>  We have plans to update our DB in November or December 2021
> and it would be great if GEOS 3.9.x would be available in the PGDG-Repo
then?

my proposal : * "debian:bullseye" (debian11)  *
-  now this is in "Hard Freeze" ; expected this calendar year. [1]

in my version:
root@869f5a20e970:/# apt list --installed | grep -E 'geos|postgis|proj|gdal'

gdal-data/now 3.2.1+dfsg-1 all [installed,local]
*libgdal28/now 3.2.1*+dfsg-1+b1 amd64 [installed,local]
*libgeos-3.9.0*/now 3.9.0-1 amd64 [installed,local]
libgeos-c1v5/now 3.9.0-1 amd64 [installed,local]
*libproj19/now 7.2.1-1* amd64 [installed,local]
*postgresql-13-postgis-3-scripts/now 3.1.1+dfsg-1.pgdg110+1 all
[installed,local]*
postgresql-13-postgis-3/now 3.1.1+dfsg-1.pgdg110+1 amd64 [installed,local]
proj-data/now 7.2.1-1 all [installed,local]

[1]
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Debian-11.0-Hard-Freeze

I am a contributor in https://github.com/postgis/docker-postgis ;
   and now I am testing the bullseye version.  ( postgis3.1+Geos3.9)   :)
The other alternative:   the "postgis/postgis:13-master" image  (
https://github.com/postgis/docker-postgis/tree/master/13-master )

Imre

Andreas Neumann <[email-masked]> ezt írta (időpont: 2021. ápr. 8., Cs,
18:15):

> https://postgis.net/docs/ST_MaximumInscribedCircle.html - and we would
> also like to use the new gridSize parameters for limited accuracy in the
> Overlay functions. Those are also only available if Postgis was compiled
> against GEOS 3.9
>

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 12:31:59 +0200

Re: Andreas Neumann

Hi,

so far we've refrained from going into the rabbit hole of packaging
new components of the GIS stack besides postgis itself for
apt.postgresql.org.

> great if GEOS 3.9.x would be available in the PGDG-Repo then?

As Imre already said, bullseye will ship geos 3.9.0 natively, and
should be released by then.

$ rmadison geos
geos       | 3.4.2-6       | oldoldstable       | source
geos       | 3.5.1-3       | oldstable          | source
geos       | 3.7.1-1       | stable             | source
geos       | 3.9.0-1       | testing            | source
geos       | 3.9.0-1       | unstable           | source
geos       | 3.9.0-1       | unstable-debug     | source
geos       | 3.9.1-1~exp1  | experimental       | source
geos       | 3.9.1-1~exp1  | experimental-debug | source

Christoph

---

From: Andreas Neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 17:02:16 +0200

Dear Christoph,

Yes, bullseye, if available in late 2021 (Q4) would work fine for us.
Thanks for confirming that it will (most likely) released by then and ship
GEOS 3.9.

Thanks and have a nice weekend,
Andreas

--