Subject: postgresql-contrib package

From: Maciek Sakrejda <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 15:23:46 -0800

Hello,

I had a question about Postgres packaging. We're revamping some
documentation, and some of our features depend on pg_stat_statements and
auto_explain, and we want to guide our users to installing these if they
are not already available. I know that for a while, both pg_stat_statements
and auto_explain were available via the postgresql-contrib package, but now
it appears that this is a virtual package that just ensures installation of
the main server package? Is it no longer necessary to install contrib
separately on modern systems? I looked through the packaging wiki and faq
to try to find more details, but I did not find any info.

Thanks,
Maciek

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 10:09:29 +0100

> to try to find more details, but I did not find any info.
Correct, modern versions on Debian include those modules that used to be in
the contrib package in the main package instead.

-- 
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/ <http://www.hagander.net/>
 Work: https://www.redpill-linpro.com/ <http://www.redpill-linpro.com/>