Subject: buster-pgdg 13 seems to be broken

From: Andreas Karlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 10:46:46 +0100

Hi,

I was going to upgrade some of my servers to PostgreSQL 13 and noticed 
that the postgresql-13 could not be found. The reason seems to be that 
the files at 
http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/dists/buster-pgdg/13/binary-amd64/ 
are empty.

Andreas

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 10:50:20 +0100

> http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/dists/buster-pgdg/13/binary-amd64/

How is your repo configured? Mine's picking up the 13 version just
fine, but it's picking it out of "main"....

-- 
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/
 Work: https://www.redpill-linpro.com/

---

From: Andreas Karlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 10:52:56 +0100

> fine, but it's picking it out of "main"....

"main" works but "13" is broken. See the attached screenshots.

Andreas

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 10:55:19 +0100

> "main" works but "13" is broken. See the attached screenshots.

Christoph may correct me on this later, but "13" is for the beta
version of 13 I believe, and there is no longer a beta version :)

What exactly does your repo config look like?  Per the apt FAQ it
should be something like
deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ buster-pgdg main 13

Do you by any chance have it set up with *only* 13, and no main?

---

From: Andreas Karlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 11:03:03 +0100

> version of 13 I believe, and there is no longer a beta version :)

I do not think so, but I may be wrong, since 
http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/dists/buster-pgdg/ has versions 
all the way back to 8.2 and all of those seem to work. As far as I can 
tell from some random samples is that it is only 13 that is broken.

> Do you by any chance have it set up with *only* 13, and no main?

deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ buster-pgdg 13

And the reason I have it like that, which may be misguided, is because I 
do not want it to install libpq from PostgreSQL 14 when PostgreSQL 14 is 
released. I prefer having everything installed from PostgreSQL 13 if 
possible.

Andreas

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 11:05:28 +0100

> released. I prefer having everything installed from PostgreSQL 13 if

My understanding is you're still supposed to list "main", and that's
what's in the instructions for it
(https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt/FAQ#I_want_libpq5_for_version_X.2C_but_there_is_only_version_Y_in_the_repository).

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 11:22:09 +0100

Re: Magnus Hagander
> (https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt/FAQ#I_want_libpq5_for_version_X.2C_but_there_is_only_version_Y_in_the_repository).

Correct. None of the NN components are self-contained.

See also http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/pool/README which I
put there for people looking more closely at the pool structure than
the instructions.

Christoph

---

From: Andreas Karlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 11:27:01 +0100

> put there for people looking more closely at the pool structure than

Good to know, I will fix that. Thanks! But "13" is still broken which 
you can see from the empty Packages file.

Andreas

---

From: Andreas Karlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 11:36:05 +0100

> you can see from the empty Packages file.

Sorry for the noise. Obviously it should be empty if all packages are 
already in "main".

Andreas