Subject: Fix for pgbackrest systemd service file

From: Don Seiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:21:39 -0500

Good afternoon,

I was talking with David Steele and pointed out errors I saw in the
pgbackrest service file when doing some early TLS file. It looks like the
errors stem from line 15 where the kill command doesn't have the absolute
path, and should be /bin/kill. I confirmed the errors go away when I
specify the full path to the kill binary.

I've given David this info and he is updating their documentation to
reflect the change also.

Before:

$ sudo systemctl status pgbackrest
● pgbackrest.service - pgBackRest Server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pgbackrest.service; disabled; vendor
preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Jul 19 16:37:44 postgres-history0-az-eastus2 systemd[1]:
/lib/systemd/system/pgbackrest.service:15: Executable path is not absolute:
kill -HUP $MAINPID

After:

$ sudo systemctl status pgbackrest
● pgbackrest.service - pgBackRest Server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pgbackrest.service; disabled; vendor
preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Diff on an Ubuntu 18.04 system:

$ sudo diff -u pgbackrest.service.old /lib/systemd/system/pgbackrest.service
--- pgbackrest.service.old      2022-07-26 17:19:37.321260963 +0000
+++ /lib/systemd/system/pgbackrest.service      2022-07-26
15:34:51.100155390 +0000
@@ -12,7 +12,7 @@
 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pgbackrest server
 ExecStartPost=/bin/sleep 3
 ExecStartPost=/bin/bash -c "[ ! -z $MAINPID ]"
-ExecReload=kill -HUP $MAINPID
+ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID

 [Install]
 WantedBy=multi-user.target
-- 
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us

---

From: David Steele <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 18:37:40 -0400

On 7/26/22 13:21, Don Seiler wrote:
> pgbackrest service file when doing some early TLS file. It looks like 
> the errors stem from line 15 where the kill command doesn't have the 
> absolute path, and should be /bin/kill. I confirmed the errors go away 
> when I specify the full path to the kill binary.
> 

Done here 
https://github.com/pgbackrest/pgbackrest/commit/e9ff5248039eedb25da2fee550ec64fcebbc51c7 
and updated the online documentation.

Thanks!
-David

---

From: Don Seiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 18:01:45 -0500

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 12:21 PM Don Seiler <[email-masked]> wrote:

>    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pgbackrest.service; disabled;
> vendor preset: enabled)
>    Active: inactive (dead)
>

Just noticed I pasted the wrong clip here for the "Before" example. This
should show that there's a failure to load with a formatting error
specified. I'll try to get the actual text later, I'm not at my workstation
at the moment.

-- 
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us

---

From: Adrian Vondendriesch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 09:02:39 +0200

Hi Don,

> I've given David this info and he is updating their documentation to 

Thanks for reporting this issue. The fix will be included in the next 
package update.

Cheers,
  - Adrian