Subject: "postgis_restore" command in the postgis 3.4 package

From: Imre Samu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:33:49 +0100

Dear maintainers,

I am seeking assistance regarding an issue brought to attention by a user
[1] of the docker-postgis docker images.
They noticed that the "postgis_restore" command seems to be missing from
the new debian postgis 3.4.0
 "postgresql-15-postgis-3" and "postgresql-15-postgis-3-scripts."
Neither they nor I have been able to locate it.

(details)

The package changelog suggests [2] that the command was reintroduced,
stating "Don't remove postgis & postgis_restore, no longer undocumented."
However, I am unsure of its current location.
As far as I understand, the command might now be named "postgis_restore"
instead of the former "postgis_restore.pl." [3]

I have searched for it in the following packages (
"postgresql-15-postgis-3" and "postgresql-15-postgis-3-scripts" ) without a
result:
docker run -it --rm postgis/postgis:15-3.4 bash -c 'dpkg -L
postgresql-$PG_MAJOR-postgis-$POSTGIS_MAJOR-scripts | grep rest'
docker run -it --rm postgis/postgis:15-3.4 bash -c 'dpkg -L
postgresql-$PG_MAJOR-postgis-$POSTGIS_MAJOR | grep rest'
Additionally, here is the Dockerfile for "postgis/postgis:15-3.4" -->  [4]

[1] https://github.com/postgis/docker-postgis/issues/367
[2]
https://salsa.debian.org/debian-gis-team/postgis/-/blob/master/debian/changelog
[3] https://postgis.net/2023/08/PostGIS-3.4.0/ #5447, postgis_restore.pl
renamed to postgis_restore (Sandro Santilli)
[4] https://github.com/postgis/docker-postgis/blob/master/15-3.4/Dockerfile
   now: 3.4.0+dfsg-1.pgdg110+1

Thank you in advance for your help,
Imre Samu
( volunteer maintainer at https://github.com/postgis/docker-postgis )

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 23:30:21 +0100

Re: Imre Samu
> Neither they nor I have been able to locate it.

Hi Imre,

the command is in the "postgis" package:

postgis: /usr/share/man/man1/postgis_restore.1.gz
postgis: /usr/bin/postgis_restore

Christoph

---

From: Imre Samu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 23:16:10 +0100

Hi Christoph,

Thank you for your help, it really makes sense that "postgis_restore" would
be located there.

I'm writing to the others to mention that the "--no-install-recommends"
parameter is also important.
Without it, postgresql-15 would be installed as well. So, the command
should be:
"apt-get install --no-install-recommends postgis"

Here is the complete Dockerfile, which extends the current postgis/postgis
images:
'''
FROM postgis/postgis:16-3.4
RUN set -eux \
  && apt-get update \
  && apt-get install -y --no-install-recommends \
     postgis \
  && dpkg -L postgis \
  && rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*
'''

Best regards,
  Imre

Christoph Berg <[email-masked]> ezt írta (időpont: 2023. nov. 28., K,