Subject: pgBackRest 2.45

From: Stefan Fercot <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 11:10:39 +0200

Hello,

pgBackRest 2.45 has been released last week:
https://github.com/pgbackrest/pgbackrest/releases/tag/release%2F2.45

Have you planned to update the packages?

Many thanks in advance!

---

From: Bradford Boyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 13:27:11 -0700

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 2:10 AM Stefan Fercot
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> pgBackRest 2.45 has been released last week: https://github.com/pgbackrest/pgbackrest/releases/tag/release%2F2.45
>

Hi Stefan,

Not sure if anybody else has replied yet, but I just took a look at
this. I can see that the Debian source package has been updated to
2.45 [1], however Debian is in a hard freeze at the moment so I don't
think this has been uploaded to testing/Bookworm. Looking at the
Jenkins pipeline for building the pgdg binary packages [2], it looks
like there is a build failure on Ubuntu bionic (18.04) for ppc64el. I
suspect that until this build error is fixed, the package won't be
published.

-- Bradford

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/postgresql/pgbackrest/-/commit/0745aa79f78eaf1490080e958f57fe1e919d7e5d
[2]: https://pgdgbuild.dus.dg-i.net/job/pgbackrest-binaries/

---

From: David Steele <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 21:24:55 +0300

> suspect that until this build error is fixed, the package won't be

FWIW, we discussed this [1] and decided there was nothing to be done for 
Ubuntu 18.04 since the issue is due to a compiler bug with no easy fix. 
Since Ubuntu 18.04 is EOL at the end of the month it doesn't seem worth 
spending a lot of time on it.

I thought the plan was to exclude Ubuntu 18.04 for 2.45 but perhaps the 
maintainers are just letting the clock run out instead.

Regards,
-David

[1] https://github.com/pgbackrest/pgbackrest/issues/2035

---

From: Bradford Boyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 16:05:33 -0700

> maintainers are just letting the clock run out instead.

I think the only blocker right now is the combination of distribution (bionic)
and architecture (ppc64el). I think we can add a filter to the job
configuration to exclude this particular combination and unblock publishing
pgbackrest for other distributions and architectures. It seems like this has
already been done [1] by excluding all of bionic. Looking at other filters in
the job configuration, I think it could be done with a more selective filter

'!(architecture=="ppc64el" && distribution=="bionic")'

Regards,
-- Bradford

[1]: https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgapt.git;a=commit;h=2946465ad2bc0dff17261dd317a92a7e374985a2