Subject: How to Install postgresql-client-11 on Ubuntu 18.04?

From: John Zajac <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 11:07:27 -0500

on ubuntu 18.04, I'm trying to upgrade pg client, to v11 (although open to
greater versions assuming backward compatibility) to get around this issue:
pg_dump: server version: 11.10; pg_dump version: 9.3.24
pg_dump: aborting because of server version mismatch

my steps so far have been to follow the quickstart from here:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt , which is..:

Import the repository key from
*https://www.postgresql.org/media/keys/ACCC4CF8.asc
<https://www.postgresql.org/media/keys/ACCC4CF8.asc>*:

sudo apt install curl ca-certificates gnupg
curl https://www.postgresql.org/media/keys/ACCC4CF8.asc | gpg
--dearmor | sudo tee /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/apt.postgresql.org.gpg
>/dev/null

Create */etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list*. The distributions are called
*codename**-pgdg*. In the example, replace *buster* with the actual
distribution you are using. File contents:

deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt *buster*-pgdg main

(You may determine the codename of your distribution by running *lsb_release
-c*). For a script version of the above file creation, presuming you are
using a supported release:

sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt
$(lsb_release -cs)-pgdg main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list'

Finally, update the package lists, and start installing packages:

sudo apt update

 and from here:

sudo apt install postgresql-client-11

However I get:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package postgresql-11

is client v11 supported on ubuntu 18.04? If yes, does anyone have steps?

-- 
-John

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 20:51:47 +0200

Re: John Zajac
> Finally, update the package lists, and start installing packages:

Did you actually run that step?

> is client v11 supported on ubuntu 18.04? If yes, does anyone have steps?

Christoph

---

From: John Zajac <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 14:29:05 -0500

I have been, yes, but looking more closely, getting some ignores and
errors, here's a shortened output of it:
sudo apt update | grep postgres

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface yet. Use with caution in
scripts.

Ign http://apt.postgresql.org trusty-pgdg InRelease
Ign http://apt.postgresql.org trusty-pgdg Release.gpg
Ign http://apt.postgresql.org trusty-pgdg Release
Err http://apt.postgresql.org trusty-pgdg/main amd64 Packages
Ign http://apt.postgresql.org trusty-pgdg/main Translation-en_US
Ign http://apt.postgresql.org trusty-pgdg/main Translation-en
W: GPG error: http://repo.percona.com trusty InRelease: The following
signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available:
NO_PUBKEY 9334A25F8507EFA5
W: Failed to fetch
http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/dists/trusty-pgdg/main/binary-amd64/Packages
 404  Not Found [IP: 217.196.149.55 80]

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones
used instead.

-- 
-John

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 21:44:52 +0200

Re: John Zajac
>  404  Not Found [IP: 217.196.149.55 80]

trusty has been end-of-life since early 2019 and has since been moved
to apt-archive.postgresql.org. (Please consider upgrading.)

Christoph