Subject: APT repository instructions

From: Tom Cassidy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 14:29:17 +0000

Hi,

Thanks for all the work you guys put in to maintain the deb packages
for postgres!

Is there somewhere where updates/changes to the APT repository
documentation can be submitted?

I can see various differing instructions at:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt/FAQ
https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/README
https://salsa.debian.org/postgresql/postgresql-common/raw/master/pgdg/apt.postgresql.org.sh

From a quick glance, it looks like the instructions are out of date in
some places and could do with some updating. See
https://blog.cloudflare.com/dont-use-apt-key/ for reasons why.

In short, the gpg key symlink should be moved from
/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/ to /usr/share/keyrings/ and the
sources.list.d/pgdg.list should be updated to read:

deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/apt.postgresql.org.gpg]
https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ $(lsb_release -cs)-pgdg main

Thanks,
Tom

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 17:17:24 +0200

Re: Tom Cassidy
> documentation can be submitted?

Hi Tom,

it's on the TODO list. You are right that we should be doing something
about the key handling, but at the same time, we aren't going to rush
it since we don't want to break existing systems, so this is still
waiting for some quiet hours here so I can think through the whole
process.

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/g2njU7RqFXPz62jAeK3x0e5SvgP9EocwTWjDTfMnCM7l6er_-ewFRbU6E_QaAH3JRCw5YQyVRMX5Dgd-tsvuleGS4iv4oj5OxjmMgcx15_E%3D%40protonmail.ch

Christoph

---

From: Tom Cassidy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 00:05:09 +0000

> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/g2njU7RqFXPz62jAeK3x0e5SvgP9EocwTWjDTfMnCM7l6er_-ewFRbU6E_QaAH3JRCw5YQyVRMX5Dgd-tsvuleGS4iv4oj5OxjmMgcx15_E%3D%40protonmail.ch

Good to know it's already being tracked.

Thanks Christoph.

Tom