Subject: Ubuntu 18.04 Support

From: Don Seiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 16:50:06 -0500

Good afternoon,

I'm writing to ask if there's any timeframe for when PGDG would stop
providing packages for Ubuntu 18.04, given that Ubuntu's own EOL date for
it is May 31 of this year.

While I'm working to migrate our fleet of databases to Ubuntu 22.04, it is
a very slow process due to the libc collation change that prevents simple
physical replication from being used, and with very large and/or very busy
databases, logical replication or pg_dump/restore sometimes require some
extra/creative problem solving.

So I'm curious what to expect from PGDG in terms of the next few quarterly
patch cycles in case something urgent is released.

Thanks,
Don.

-- 
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 20:17:06 +0200

Re: Don Seiler
> it is May 31 of this year.

Hi Don,

we usually follow that EOL date. There are various tweaks in place to
keep things working on the old Debian and Ubuntu releases, and from
time to time, it's good to be able to remove the oldest tweaks so the
rest of the machinery can move forward.

Christoph

---

From: Don Seiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 09:30:55 -0500

Thanks. Any idea how long the existing Ubuntu 18.04 PGDG packages will
remain available on your apt repo?

Don.

-- 
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 16:36:28 +0200

Re: Don Seiler
> remain available on your apt repo?

They won't go away, they will eventually be moved to
apt-archive.postgresql.org and can indefinitely used there. Just not
with any updates.

When that happens isn't clear yet, but with the LTS releases I usually
copy packages over and remove the (then read-only) original packages
from apt.postgresql.org only months later, after an announcement.

Christoph

---

From: Don Seiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 09:42:59 -0500

> from apt.postgresql.org only months later, after an announcement.

OK thank you very much!

Don.

-- 
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us