Subject: Postgres 15.2 packages missing

From: James Coleman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 15:59:52 -0400

Hello,

We noticed today that the apt repo [1] seems to have packages for
15.0, 15.1, and 15.3, but is missing packages for 15.2.

Given the older versions are still present, we assume there isn't a
policy to yank point releases once the newest point release comes out,
but if so, please let us know.

It's also possible we're missing something even more obvious...please
let us know on that also.

But assuming this isn't our mistake: is there a reason the 15.2
packages appear to have been yanked?

Thanks,
James Coleman

1: http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/pool/main/p/postgresql-15/

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 10:53:50 +0200

Re: James Coleman
> but if so, please let us know.

Hi,

we actually keep only one version in the repository. The 15.0 and 15.1
packages seem to be mistakenly kept around by reprepro, I'll have to
investigate that.

The packages you are looking for are available in the archive:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt/FAQ#Where_are_older_versions_of_the_packages.3F

Christoph

---

From: James Coleman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 10:34:04 -0400

> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt/FAQ#Where_are_older_versions_of_the_packages.3F

Thanks. I had a vague memory of something like that, but then when I
saw the 15.0 and 15.1 packages I assumed I'd remembered incorrectly.

What's the reasoning for maintaining only the newest point release in the repo?

Thanks,
James

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 17:14:14 +0200

Re: James Coleman
> What's the reasoning for maintaining only the newest point release in the repo?

Mostly that reprepro that doesn't support it, unfortunately. It's
still the best repo managing software around. We might have a look at
"aptly", but its command line interface is somewhat weird and possibly
not an improvement.

Thanks for spotting the inconsistency, I managed to clean up the
debris in there. The extra packages in there were mostly from old
packages built while the distribution in question was still in
development itself, so this wasn't even usable as a general wayback
machine.

apt-archive.postgresql.org is automatically kept up to date and
receives all packages with a delay of one day.

Christoph

---

From: James Coleman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 15:15:49 -0400

> receives all packages with a delay of one day.

Ah, that helps. Thanks for maintaining the repo.

I'm probably misunderstanding something here still, but is reprepro
_not_ used to manage the archive repo such that we don't have that
problem there?

Thanks,
James

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 21:21:06 +0200

Re: James Coleman
> _not_ used to manage the archive repo such that we don't have that

No, that's a home-grown solution that uploads files to S3, records the
metadata in a PG database, and generates+uploads the repository index
files each time something changes. Since the archive is append-only
that use-case is much more simple, just with the added complexity that
the .deb files aren't available locally (since we ran out of disk
space there).

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgapt.git;a=blob_plain;f=repo/bin/generate-archive-lists;hb=HEAD
(not claiming a prettiness prize for that :D)

Christoph