Subject: Ubuntu bionic (18.04) moving to apt-archive.postgresql.org

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 14:11:54 +0200

Bionic has been EOL for a few months now, and building PostgreSQL 16
on bionic turned out to be difficult (among other problems, zstd being
available but too old), so I used that to stop supporting bionic on
apt.postgresql.org. No new builds for that distributions have been
made since July.

bionic-pgdg has now been copied to apt-archive.postgresql.org and will
be removed from apt.postgresql.org at the end of October 2023.

If you are still on bionic (please upgrade!) point your sources.list
entries to https://apt-archive.postgresql.org.

deb https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt bionic-pgdg main

Christoph

---

From: Don Seiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 10:44:14 -0500

> deb https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt bionic-pgdg main

Would this just be an issue for new installations on bionic? i.e. my
current fleet of bionic DB servers would continue to operate, just no
updates (which there haven't been any since May anyway)? We're in the
middle of our migration to Ubuntu jammy but it'll be a couple months yet.

Don.
-- 
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 22:18:02 +0200

Re: Don Seiler
> middle of our migration to Ubuntu jammy but it'll be a couple months yet.

New installations should just work with the above sources line.

Christoph

---

From: Don Seiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 16:15:25 -0500

> New installations should just work with the above sources line.

Yes, of course. I meant to ask if an existing bionic VM with PG already
installed and running would see any issues if they don't make any
adjustments at all.

Don.
-- 
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us

---

From: Aaron Pavely <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 16:47:38 -0500

> installed and running would see any issues if they don't make any

This depends. PostgreSQL itself won't mind this one bit, but since the
package repository won't exist any longer (i.e., broken), when running
'apt-get update', some processes will take that status as an error in
package management.

This may break automation if the automation depends on _all_ repositories
functioning properly. For instance, you may see this as an issue if adding
the host to Canonical's ESM repositories. Chef/Puppet/Ansible/etc. might
not like it, either.
--
Aaron

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 16:19:32 +0100

Re: To PostgreSQL in Debian
> be removed from apt.postgresql.org at the end of October 2023.

This has now happened, I just removed bionic and kinetic from the
repository.

Christoph