Subject: pgbench in wrong package?

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 21:24:07 +0100

pgbench is in the postgresql-client-common package [0], but the actual 
per-version binaries are in the server package, e.g., postgresql-16 [1]. 
  If you try to call pgbench without installing the server package, it 
tells you

Error: You must install at least one postgresql-client-<version> package

but that is wrong advice in this situation.

Is there are reason for this arrangement?

(The same confusion applies to vacuumlo.)

[0]: 
https://packages.debian.org/trixie/all/postgresql-client-common/filelist
[1]: https://packages.debian.org/trixie/amd64/postgresql-16/filelist

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 11:50:55 +0000

Re: Peter Eisentraut
> per-version binaries are in the server package, e.g., postgresql-16 [1].  If
> you try to call pgbench without installing the server package, it tells you
> 

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=959891

Mostly a historical mistake that has been difficult to fix because of
the update-alternatives trees for the manpages, where moving "slave"
links from one tree to another is quite hard. I think it's possible to
revisit that now that the client and server manpage trees have been
merged.

> (The same confusion applies to vacuumlo.)

Ack.

Christoph