Subject: i386 support dropped?

From: David Steele <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2024 14:09:43 +1000

I can't find an announcement related to this but it looks like i386 
support has been dropped from the Ubuntu 20.04 and Debian 11 repos.

Just wanted to confirm this is the case on the off chance I'm doing 
something wrong. There are also a few packages we need that are missing 
from base i386 Ubuntu 20.04 so I guess i386 is just dying off?

Regards,
-David

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2024 14:59:53 +0200

Re: David Steele
> I can't find an announcement related to this but it looks like i386 support
> has been dropped from the Ubuntu 20.04 and Debian 11 repos.

Hi David,

it's been a while like that, the last releases with i386 on apt.pg.
were Debian buster (10) and Ubuntu bionic (18.04)

> something wrong. There are also a few packages we need that are missing from
> base i386 Ubuntu 20.04 so I guess i386 is just dying off?

Ubuntu degraded i386 to an "extra architecture without kernel and
installer" a while ago, yes.

That said, I'm still keeping it enabled on apt.pg.o as a build target
on Debian sid because even if I'm not doing that, I'll get the same
surprises after uploading to Debian. Better catch that early.

Christoph

---

From: David Steele <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2024 10:33:20 +0800

> surprises after uploading to Debian. Better catch that early.

Thanks for the clarification!

It has been nice to be able to test on 32-bit since it is another 
architecture but I guess we'll need to figure out another scheme. 
Perhaps test the one PG version that ships with Debian 11 and also run 
unit tests.

Obviously architectures need to be sunset at some point and it looks 
like i386 has reached that point.

Regards,
-David