Subject: Re: PostgreSQL CVE-2024-7348 today

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2024 19:35:20 +0100

Re: Moritz Mühlenhoff
> DSAs have been released, thanks!

Unfortunately there is an ABI change in the last minors that has
greater impact than originally planned.

The effect is that some extensions need recompilation against the new
version (after which they will no longer work with the old version).
In Debian, timescaledb and, to a lesser extend, postgresql-16-age are
affected, but both are only part of testing, not stable.

(See https://qa.debian.org/excuses.php?package=postgresql-17 where the
timescaledb problem shows up as regression.)

A new round of releases is planned for next week to revert that part.

Since we can't tell what 3rd-party extensions people are using with
the Debian packages it would be prudent to release that update as a
DSA update.

PostgreSQL is well aware that problems like that shouldn't happen and
the already existing ABI checking will be done even stricter in the
future, both manually and automated.

Sorry for the trouble,
Christoph

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2024 19:37:17 +0100

(I replied to the wrong old mail, the issue is in the current minor
releases, released 2024-11-14.)

Re: To Debian Security Team

Christoph

---

From: Moritz Mühlenhoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2024 20:11:28 +0000

> future, both manually and automated.

Ok, no problem. We'll release that revised update via bookworm-security
as well, then.

Cheers,
        Moritz

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2024 12:51:30 +0100

Re: Moritz Mühlenhoff
> Ok, no problem. We'll release that revised update via bookworm-security

Hi,

new PG15 uploaded:

postgresql-15 (15.10-0+deb12u1) bookworm-security; urgency=medium

  * New upstream version 15.10.

    + Repair ABI break for extensions that work with struct ResultRelInfo

      Last week's minor releases unintentionally broke binary compatibility
      with timescaledb and several other extensions.  Restore the affected
      structure to its previous size, so that such extensions need not be
      rebuilt.

    + Restore functionality of ALTER {ROLE|DATABASE} SET role

      The fix for CVE-2024-10978 accidentally caused settings for role to not
      be applied if they come from non-interactive sources, including previous
      ALTER {ROLE|DATABASE} commands and the PGOPTIONS environment variable.

 -- Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>  Tue, 19 Nov 2024 15:36:12 +0100

Christoph

---

From: Moritz Mühlenhoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2024 19:24:56 +0000

> postgresql-15 (15.10-0+deb12u1) bookworm-security; urgency=medium

Thanks, update has been released.

Cheers,
        Moritz