Subject: Postgis 3.5.3 packages include 3.6.0 files

From: Chris Sinjakli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2025 18:11:31 +0100

Hello,

I'm currently using the 3.5.3 package from
https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt bookworm-pgdg-archive main
- specifically 3.5.3+dfsg-1~exp1.pgdg120+1 - and it seems like in the last
week, it has been updated with some files from the 3.6.0 release.

Trying to install the extension from that package results in this error:

postgres=> CREATE EXTENSION postgis;
ERROR:  could not find function "ST_CoverageClean" in file
"/usr/lib/postgresql/17/lib/postgis-3.so"

Specifically, it looks like the package installs the SQL scripts and
control file from 3.6.0:

$ ls /usr/share/postgresql/17/extension/postgis--3.6.0.sql
/usr/share/postgresql/17/extension/postgis--3.6.0.sql

$ cat /usr/share/postgresql/17/extension/postgis-3.control
# postgis extension
comment = 'PostGIS geometry and geography spatial types and functions'
default_version = '3.6.0'
module_pathname = '$libdir/postgis-3'
relocatable = false

Is it possible that a bad version of the 3.5.3 package has been pushed and
overwritten the working one?

Cheers,
Chris

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2025 19:34:14 +0200

Re: Chris Sinjakli
> Specifically, it looks like the package installs the SQL scripts and

Which version of the -scripts package do you have installed?

Christoph

---

From: Chris Sinjakli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2025 18:45:29 +0100

> Which version of the -scripts package do you have installed?

Ah, you've got it in one. I didn't realise there was a separate package for
Postgis' scripts and that's been pulled in at 3.6.0. I'll get that one pinned
too.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Cheers,
Chris