Subject: Breakage: pgbouncer has changed the user under which it runs between 1.16.1 and 1.17.0

From: Tomas Pospisek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 16:07:36 +0200

Dear packagers,

Due to the change of user under which pgbouncer runs (before: user 
pgbouncer, new: user postgres), an upgrade from 1.16.1 to 1.17.0 will 
break systems.

     # cat /var/log/apt/history.log
     [...]
     Upgrade: pgbouncer:amd64 (1.16.1-1.pgdg20.04+1,
              1.17.0-3.pgdg20.04+1)

     # cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/apt_postgresql_org_pub_repos_apt.list
     deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ focal-pgdg main

Workaround:

     # chown postgres.postgres /etc/pgbouncer/*
     # # the next line depends on where pgbouncer is set up to save
     # # its logs go - see /etc/pgbouncer/pgbouncer.ini
     # chown -R postgres.postgres /var/log/pgbouncer/
     # # see preceeding comment
     # chown postgres.postgres /var/log/postgres/pgbouncer*
     # chown -R postgres.postgres /var/run/pgbouncer

I've originally reported that [here] and was redirected to this mailing 
list.

Thanks a lot for the packages & greetings,
*t

[here](https://github.com/pgbouncer/pgbouncer/issues/716)

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 16:34:25 +0200

Re: Tomas Pospisek
> pgbouncer, new: user postgres), an upgrade from 1.16.1 to 1.17.0 will break
> systems.

Hi Tomas,

the Debian pgbouncer package has always been using the postgres user:

$ grep USER debian/init
RUNASUSER="postgres"
    $SSD --start --chuid $RUNASUSER --oknodo -- $OPTS 2> /dev/null
        su -c "$DAEMON -R $OPTS 2> /dev/null" - ${RUNASUSER%:*}

Maybe you were editing the init.d or defaults file before?

>     Upgrade: pgbouncer:amd64 (1.16.1-1.pgdg20.04+1,

The effective change between these versions is that we are now
shipping a .service file.

Christoph

---

From: Tomas Pospisek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 10:46:27 +0200

Hi Christoph,

before anything: thanks a lot for your reply and thanks a lot for your 
OSS work <3 !!! Am very thankful for that!

> Maybe you were editing the init.d or defaults file before?

indeed my /etc/default/pgbouncer contains `RUNASUSER="pgbouncer"`. I do 
set that explicitly via ansible. However I'm not sure where that line 
originated from. I am quite sure that it's not me who came up with the 
idea of running the daemon as `pgbouncer`, but instead that came from 
the package (which package - if from Debian or from pgdg - I don't know 
I would have to dig further, but maybe I could figure it out).

> shipping a .service file.

So what is happening after the introduction of the `.service` file is 
that either `/etc/default/pgbouncer` is now beeing ignored or it is 
being overriden. That breaks installations that had 
`RUNASUSER="pgbouncer"` set in `/etc/default/pgbouncer` when upgrading 
to 1.17.x.

Do you concur with that conclusion?

*t

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 11:23:49 +0200

Re: Tomas Pospisek
> indeed my /etc/default/pgbouncer contains `RUNASUSER="pgbouncer"`. I do set
> that explicitly via ansible. However I'm not sure where that line originated
> from. I am quite sure that it's not me who came up with the idea of running
> the daemon as `pgbouncer`, but instead that came from the package (which
> package - if from Debian or from pgdg - I don't know I would have to dig
> further, but maybe I could figure it out).

Hi Tomas,

It's true that the upstream pgbouncer default is to use "pgbouncer"
instead of "postgres", but Debian's /etc/init.d/pgbouncer has had
RUNASUSER="postgres" since 2012, and /etc/default/pgbouncer has not
been changed since 2008.

> So what is happening after the introduction of the `.service` file is that
> either `/etc/default/pgbouncer` is now beeing ignored or it is being
> overriden. That breaks installations that had `RUNASUSER="pgbouncer"` set in
> `/etc/default/pgbouncer` when upgrading to 1.17.x.
> 

Yes, but TBH I'd rather not reintroduce the usage of /etc/default in a
.service file when everyone else is moving away from that schema.

To override the settings from the package .service file, do this:

/etc/systemd/system/pgbouncer.service.d/user.conf:
[Service]
User=pgbouncer

Christoph