Subject: Fedora 25 pgadmin4 packaging is broken

From: cen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 13:50:01 +0100

Hi

I wanted to try out pgadmin4 on Fedora 25 but I can't get it to run.
First minor issue was that package pgadmin4 does not actually exists in 
the repo, pgadmin4-v1 does,
which is rather unusual for rpm since the versions are contained in the 
metadata. Anyway..

after installing the package pgadmin4 fails to start. "Failed to locate 
pgAdmin4.py, terminating server thread".

I saw a discussion on pgadmin-hackers about this error but I didn't find 
a resolution there.

Any ideas?

Best regards, Cen

-- 
Sent via pgsql-pkg-yum mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-pkg-yum

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 12:23:45 +0300

Hi,

> which is rather unusual for rpm since the versions are contained in the 

I changed the name per discussion with Dave, so that when v2 comes out, people
can install them side by side, if needed. I'd say that half of our packages
contain similar version numbers, btw.

> I saw a discussion on pgadmin-hackers about this error but I didn't find 

Well, I cannot duplicate any of those issues in fresh installation. If you
installed pgadmin4 before by using the previous RPMs, then you need to remove
all existing data left from the older RPMs. Is yours a fresh installation as
well?

Regards,
-- 
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Danışmanı/Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer
Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR

---

From: cen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 10:52:25 +0100

Hi,

this is my first pgadmin4 installation, I only have pgadmin3 from the 
fedora repo. Procedure:

dnf config-manager --add-repo 
https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/9.6/fedora/fedora-25-x86_64/pgdg-fedora96-9.6-3.noarch.rpm
dnf install pgadmin4-v1

I noticed that pgadmin4.service is missing (not installed). So I added 
my own:

[Unit]
Description=Pgadmin4 Server

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/python3 
/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pgadmin4-web/pgAdmin4.py
Restart=on-failure

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

After starting the service I can access pgadmin4 via browser and 
everything seems to work.

But for some reason the desktop launcher cannot find pgAdmin4.py. Is 
there some env var I can set to put it on the right course?

Anyway, I'll spin up a fresh Fedora 25 VM and give it another try. Maybe 
it's something in my system config.

---

From: cen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 13:59:41 +0100

I spin up a fresh Fedora 25 Workstation VM (Gnome Wayland)

# wget 
https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/9.6/fedora/fedora-25-x86_64/pgdg-fedora96-9.6-3.noarch.rpm
# dnf install pgdg-fedora96-9.6-3.noarch.rpm
# dnf repolist
repo id                    repo 
name                                      status
*fedora                    Fedora 25 - 
x86_64                             51669
pgdg96                     PostgreSQL 9.6 25 - 
x86_64                       259
*updates                   Fedora 25 - x86_64 - 
Updates                   13246
# dnf install pgadmin4-v1
# pgadmin4
Fatal Error
An error occured initialising the application server.
Failed to locate pgAdmin4.py, terminating server thread.

Alternatively,
# systemctl start pgadmin4-v1

and opening localhost:5050 works now (I was trying to start up pgadmin4 
service previously).

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 15:27:13 +0300

Hi,

> # dnf install pgadmin4-v1

What if you also install pgadmin4-v1-web and pgadmin4-v1-docs along with the
main RPM?

Regards,

---

From: cen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 14:45:47 +0100

Hi,

Dnf says these two packages are already installed.

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 23:30:43 +0300

Hi,

> Dnf says these two packages are already installed.

Ok, I confirmed that this is also broken on a very new box of me. I need to
figure out what is different between my laptop and the new F-25 installation.

Regards,
-- 
Devrim Gündüz