Subject: Update to pg9.4.12 failing with Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo

From: Payal Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 11:01:48 -0400

Running into 'invalid release' error when trying to update postgres to the
latest minor version 9.4.12 on CentOS 5.11:

sudo yum update postgresql94.x86_64 postgresql94-contrib.x86_64
postgresql94-devel.x86_64 postgresql94-libs.x86_64
postgresql94-server.x86_64
Loaded plugins: dellsysid, fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
YumRepo Error: All mirror URLs are not using ftp, http[s] or file.
 Eg. Invalid release/
removing mirrorlist with no valid mirrors:
/var/cache/yum/base/mirrorlist.txt
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: base

Downloaded the rpm from
https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/9.4/redhat/rhel-5-x86_64/pgdg-centos94-9.4-3.noarch.rpm
but still getting the same error when trying to install it:

:/etc/yum.repos.d> yum --nogpgcheck localinstall
pgdg-centos94-9.4-3.noarch.rpm
Loaded plugins: dellsysid, fastestmirror
Setting up Local Package Process
Examining pgdg-centos94-9.4-3.noarch.rpm: pgdg-centos94-9.4-3.noarch
Marking pgdg-centos94-9.4-3.noarch.rpm as an update to
pgdg-centos94-9.4-2.noarch
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
YumRepo Error: All mirror URLs are not using ftp, http[s] or file.
 Eg. Invalid release/
removing mirrorlist with no valid mirrors:
/var/cache/yum/base/mirrorlist.txt
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: base

Since 9.4.12 yum package is listed at
https://yum.postgresql.org/repopackages.php I think it means support for it
has not dropped. Not sure why I am seeing this error then.

Thanks,
Payal Singh,
Database Administrator,
OmniTI Computer Consulting Inc.
Phone: 240.646.0770 x 253

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 18:51:28 +0300

Hi,

> YumRepo Error: All mirror URLs are not using ftp, http[s] or file.

You are getting this message from CentOS-Base repo, not from us, as you can see

> Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: base

So, you will need to disable CentOS repos first.

Regards,

-- 
Devrim Gündüz
EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Danışmanı/Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer
Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR