Subject: adding a new platform

From: Mark Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 15:11:49 -0700

Hi everyone,

I have access to a z13 mainframe and would like to explore getting
packages built for the yum repository for Linux on z (as opposed to
z/OS.)  I've looked at the git repository, but was wondering what the
best way is to run through trying to build packages and what not.

Regards,
Mark
-- 
Mark Wong                                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, RemoteDBA, Training & Services

-- 
Sent via pgsql-pkg-yum mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-pkg-yum

---

From: Craig Ringer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 10:01:21 +0800

> best way is to run through trying to build packages and what not.
I (or, rather, 2ndQuadrant) also have access to POWER7 machines at OSU OSL
that can be used to build ppc64 packages for Linux on POWER, in case anyone
expresses interest in this.

-- 
 Craig Ringer                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
 PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services

---

From: Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 12:21:28 +0200

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 10:01:21 +0800

> expresses interest in this.

I talked with Devrim during last pgconf.eu about the opportunity to have IBM
providing a POWER server and even some feedback about their gcc toolkit,
optimized for POWER7 and POWER8.

I had no answers to my mails since then, when trying to get people from IBM in
touch with Devrim :(

Devrim, maybe my emails landed in your spam ? Or did I miss something ?

Cheers,
-- 
Jehan-Guillaume "ioguix" de Rorthais
http://www.dalibo.com

---

From: Craig Ringer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 18:37:02 +0800

> I had no answers to my mails since then, when trying to get people from

I have sometimes found that working with IBM directly not to be the best
way to do things, especially by email. Working through IBM partners and
getting the partners to handle co-ordination with IBM via their established
relationships often works best.

In the case of POWER for open source use, the Oregon State University Open
Source Lab (OSU OSL) is a good starting point. I can vouch for their
excellent support and infrastructure first-hand.

2ndQuadrant has three POWER7 LPARs with OSU OSL, one of which is on Fedora
21. So mock-building packages would not be a problem. I can't offer
individual build hosts for non-mocked builds, though, as there are just too
many target OSes.

---

From: Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 12:51:42 +0200

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 18:37:02 +0800

> relationships often works best.

Here, my IBM contact was actually quite available and prompt to answer.

> excellent support and infrastructure first-hand.

The IBM contact was actually pointing to this program. The
only issue I could find about it is that only POWER7 plateform were available,
no POWER8.

> individual build hosts for non-mocked builds, though, as there are just too

Devrim explained he needs a root access to such a server to be able to install
and monitor various things and integrate the server to his buildfarm. AFAIR,
this was the point we were trying to discuss when we lost contact...

-- 
Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
http://www.dalibo.com

---

From: Craig Ringer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 19:18:43 +0800

> this was the point we were trying to discuss when we lost contact...
That's really where we need to start switching to using 'mock' for package
builds. It shouldn't be necessary to install dependencies locally on build
workers, or even have them run the same OS version as the package target.

I've prepared this for the postgresql package its self, which is one of the
more complex ones. I'll have to update the spec file and re-send it to the
list.

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 15:12:33 +0300

Hi Mark,

> best way is to run through trying to build packages and what not.

The machine should be under postgresql.org sysadmin control, and should
only be accessed by the package builders (currently me and Jeff), for
security reasons . Are these doable?

Regards,
-- 
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Principal Systems Engineer @ EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Danışmanı/Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer
Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR

---

From: Mark Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 06:59:12 -0700

Hi Devrim,

> security reasons . Are these doable?

I will get answers to that and get back to you as soon as I can.

Regards,
Mark

---

From: Mark Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 07:16:12 -0700

> this was the point we were trying to discuss when we lost contact...

I recommend using the request form at OSUOSL to ask for instances:
http://osuosl.org/services/powerdev/request_hosting

The general information is here, for reference, which says POWER8 is
available now:
http://osuosl.org/services/powerdev

They also have their own irc channel (#osuosl on Freenode) if you want
to ask questions there.

I've had a very minimal LPAR for the builfarm and I am imagining that
not a huge amount of resources are required for building the RPMs so I'm
hoping it would be easy to get access.

Regards,
Mark

---

From: Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 16:34:08 +0200

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 07:16:12 -0700
Mark Wong <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > only issue I could find about it is that only POWER7 plateform were
> > available, no POWER8.
> > 
> > Devrim explained he needs a root access to such a server to be able to
> > install and monitor various things and integrate the server to his
> > buildfarm. AFAIR, this was the point we were trying to discuss when we lost
> > contact...
> 

Great news!

> hoping it would be easy to get access.

Devrim, what can I do to help on this projet? Would you like me to request for
an instance, get all informations, make sure we have enough access, then get in
sync with you?

Cheers,

---

From: Mark Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 11:13:23 -0700

Hi everyone,

> security reasons . Are these doable?

I forgot to ask, is it ok to use LXC to run the different distros we
want to build packages for?  Or if there was a preference?

Regards,
Mark

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 09:27:18 +0300

Hi,

> Devrim, maybe my emails landed in your spam ? Or did I miss

Sorry, I just failed to reply them :-( Apologies. Can you restart that
thread, so that I can respond quickly? I have some cycles nowadays.

Regards,

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 09:29:20 +0300

Hi,

On Tue, 2015-04-21 at 16:34 +0200, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais wrote:

> Devrim, what can I do to help on this projet? Would you like me to
> request for an instance, get all informations, make sure we have
> enough access, then get in sync with you?

We need to coordinate this with our infrastructure team (CC'ed now), so
that they know what is going on in here. Having a build instance will do
all the trick, for sure.

Regards,

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 16:04:24 +0200

> that they know what is going on in here. Having a build instance will do

I think maybe you cut a little bit too much out of that email. All we know
now is that there is something happening that we should know that it's
going on, and that it has something to do with a platform :)

-- 
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

---

From: Mark Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 13:53:59 -0700

> security reasons . Are these doable?

Does anyone have a strong opinion on whether the s/390 RPMs are built on
native z system hardware, or whether we use the Hercules emulator?  And
if the ladder is ok, is that something that would fit on the systems
postgresql.org already has?

Regards,
Mark

---

From: Mark Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 08:22:50 -0700

Hi Devrim,

> security reasons . Are these doable?

I've chatted with someone at IBM and they should be able to give you
your own instance, but they don't believe they can give us a whole
system.  I'm not sure where we would host it either. :)

Does that work?

Regards,
Mark