Subject: pgbouncer logrotate configuration

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 10:44:49 -0400

The pgbouncer logrotate configuration seems a bit contradictory:

/var/log/pgbouncer.log {
    missingok
    notifempty
    sharedscripts
    copytruncate
    create 0640 pgbouncer pgbouncer
    nodateext
    postrotate
        /bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/pgbouncer/pgbouncer.pid
2>/dev/null` 2> /dev/null || true
    endscript
}

"create" is ignored if "copytruncate" is used.  And having a postrotate
script to send a HUP signal is also pointless if copytruncate is used.
We need to decide on one way to do it: either copytruncate, or rename
and SIGHUP.

It also seems to me that this might be a bit simpler if we created a
subdirectory /var/log/pgbouncer/ for all the log files.  Then we
wouldn't have the permissions issues that the "create" directory is
attempting to solve.

Comments?

-- 
Sent via pgsql-pkg-yum mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-pkg-yum

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 00:24:47 +0300

Hi,

> wouldn't have the permissions issues that the "create" directory is

Just committed a fix for this. Can you please pull 9.4 tree and see
whether all problems you reported have been fixed or not? I can push the
packages tomorrow or so.

Regards,

-- 
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Principal Systems Engineer @ EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Danışmanı/Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer
Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 16:55:32 -0400

> whether all problems you reported have been fixed or not? I can push the

I haven't tested it, but I think the currently committed logrotate file
won't work at all, because *both* the copytruncate the the postrotate
script were removed.  You need to keep at least one.

Also, I think the /var/log/pgbouncer/ directory needs to be created
somewhere in the spec file.

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 14:51:53 -0400

> somewhere in the spec file.

This is still not fixed.

---

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 23:35:44 +0300

Hi Peter,

> This is still not fixed.

Peter, can you please do me a favor and send a patch against this?

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgrpms.git;a=blob;f=rpm/redhat/9.5/
pgbouncer/F
-22/pgbouncer.logrotate;h=7936a71f3e3c409f9b20d0b9164d98930907cb0a;hb=5
7904b139f4362524ec969dac9b52b8ee2ce35d1

Regards,