Subject: PL/Java 1.5.1_BETA2

From: Chapman Flack <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 01:49:25 -0400

Hello packagers,

There is a PL/Java 1.5.1 release at github, supporting PG 11 back to PG 8.2:

https://github.com/tada/pljava/releases/tag/V1_5_1

Release notes: http://tada.github.io/pljava/releasenotes.html

It requires Java 8 to build; its pljava.libjvm_location GUC can be pointed
at run time to any Java 6 to Java 11 (and, with luck, later) JRE. When
pointed to a later JRE, it allows a user to write and use Java functions
using the latest language features.

The build script allows a default value for libjvm_location to be built in.
A package built for a platform with a standardized location for Java can
build in an appropriate default, so the user experience of installing
PL/Java is as simple as possible, and doesn't require setting the GUC first.

A reasonable value for the default might be whatever version of Java would
be installed by the target distro/release's default-java or similar package.
That way, PL/Java could be installed in simple cases without pulling in
another JRE if the default one is already there. A site that needs a
different Java version could then download that and adjust the GUC
accordingly.

The PL/Java build instructions are here:
http://tada.github.io/pljava/build/build.html

... and a page of tips specifically for packaging is here:
http://tada.github.io/pljava/build/package.html

I hope this new version can find a home in your repositories. If it
gives you any difficulties, please let me know. Thanks!

Chapman Flack

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 11:50:16 +0100

Hi Chapman,

> There is a PL/Java 1.5.1 release at github, supporting PG 11 back to PG 8.2:

Thanks! Will push the packages in a few hours.

Regards,
-- 
Devrim Gündüz
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer
Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR

---

From: Chapman Flack <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 20:26:12 -0400

> Thanks! Will push the packages in a few hours.

Thanks!

I looked in one of the rpms, and I noticed a few things:

1. It doesn't install these files in share/.../pljava:

   pljava--1.5.0--1.5.1.sql
   pljava--1.5.0-BETA1--1.5.1.sql
   pljava--1.5.0-BETA2--1.5.1.sql
   pljava--1.5.0-BETA3--1.5.1.sql
   pljava--1.5.1-BETA1--1.5.1.sql
   pljava--1.5.1-BETA2--1.5.1.sql
   pljava--1.5.1-BETA3--1.5.1.sql

The build procedure probably tricked you there, because those files
don't really exist in the build directory. They are all identical,
simply copies of a prototype file pljava--.sql (which does not need
to be installed under that name at all), and they just get inserted
synthetically into the installer jar as it is built. You are
bypassing the installer jar, so they just need to be made somehow.
You could make copies or links at build time, or even just include one
of them and make the remaining copies/links on the target system
in a post-install script.

But they have to be there, or ALTER EXTENSION pljava UPDATE won't work.

2. If -Dso.debug=true is added to the mvn command line, there will be
   debug symbols in libpljava-...so to allow for making a debuginfo
   rpm.

3. I notice this rpm does not include the pljava-examples...jar. Can
   there be a separate examples rpm then (or could the jar just be
   included in the main rpm)?

   A lot of the older examples are trivial things or tests, but there's
   a new one in this release that's nontrivial and useful (provides
   real SQL:2006+ XML Query support, which core PG still doesn't have).
   Some people might actually have reasons to want to install that one.

   It is not built unless -Psaxon-examples is on the mvn command line.
   It is optional because it must be left out when building for PG 8.3
   or 8.2. But it is usable in any of the current supported releases.

Thanks!
-Chap