Subject: misleading state of pgdg packaging for EL 7

From: Julian Markwort <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 13:22:49 +0200

Hey,

looking up the status of PG 16 on EL 7 and derivatives, I noticed that there are some misleading things out there...

1) Here, under "Platform Support" it says that EL 7 is supported, and then it says that it is only partially supported
("up to PostgreSQL 15, and until PostgreSQL 15 is EOLed"):
https://yum.postgresql.org/

2) The installation instructions here allow to choose a combination of PG 16 and EL 7 (PG > 12 and EL 6 could also be
chosen), producing some instructions that would result in failure to install things:
https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/

3) Here there are still directories for rhel-7*, but they all lead to a 404 Not Found page:
https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/16/redhat/

Maybe the first location is the easiest to change. Perhaps it just needs to be clarified that we do support some things
on EL7 still, but just don't package anything newer than PG 15. The same probably applies to PG12.

For the second location I'm not sure if the page allows to configure constraints on the "decision tree".

For the third location I'm not even sure if this is really a problem, after all this is not really meant for human
consumptions, and computers would probably not stumble across this anyway.

Please let me know if I can help with any particular task.
I'm not sure if this is something that should better be tracked by a ticket at http://redmine.postgresql.org/  - if you
want/need that I'll create one.

Best regards
Julian

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 09:05:07 +0100

Hi Julian,

On Mon, 2024-04-15 at 13:22 +0200, Julian Markwort wrote:
> 2) The installation instructions here allow to choose a combination of
> PG 16 and EL 7 (PG > 12 and EL 6 could also be

I reported this to -www team last year. They need to fix it. 

and yes, we don't support PostgreSQL 16 on RHEL 7. I'll also stop
pushing non-PostgreSQL updates in June this year on this platform.

Regards,

-- 
Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, PostgreSQL Major Contributor
Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR