Subject: Backporting XML docs

From: Liudmila Mantrova <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 18:36:35 +0300

Dear all,

As you know, documentation for PostgreSQL 11 is now converted to XML. To 
avoid the overhead of adapting each patch that needs to be backported to 
be a valid SGML, hackers have been recently discussing the possibility 
of switching to XML in all supported branches.

Should this move happen, do you anticipate any packaging issues in older 
branches?
As far as I understand, branch 10 is already using the same toolchain as 
branch 11, even though with SGML sources.

-- 
Liudmila Mantrova
Technical writer at Postgres Professional: http://www.postgrespro.com
The Russian Postgres Company

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 18:17:03 +0200

Re: Liudmila Mantrova 2018-05-11 <[email-masked]>
> avoid the overhead of adapting each patch that needs to be backported to be
> a valid SGML, hackers have been recently discussing the possibility of
> switching to XML in all supported branches.
> 

The postgresql-11 package is building on all supported Debian versions
just fine, so switching the older packages to the same toolchain
shouldn't pose any problems for us.

Christoph

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 00:06:44 +0300

Hi,

> shouldn't pose any problems for us.

Same here.

Regards,
-- 
Devrim Gündüz
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer
Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR