Subject: armadillo major update 10 to 12 in epel

From: Holger Schiebold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 14:54:57 +0100

dear list,

it seems that again armadillo major update in epel (this time from 10 to 
12) breaks the gdal3* packages in postgres yum repos (RHEL 8 and 9), so 
we cannot use  certain packages from postgres el repositories and yum 
update on machines with both repositories is broken.

Will there be builds of the gdal3*  packages against the new armadillo 
12 package from epel to solve that or do we have to do other things 
while we use postgres and epel repositories?

Btw. - why the epel guys do major upgrades of this library - isn't it 
completely against the el way of things? Was this ever discussed with 
the epel guys?

best regards Holger

mit freundlichen Grüßen

-- 
Holger Schiebold

____________________
codematix GmbH
Felsbachstrasse 5/7
D-07745 Jena
Tel. +49 (3641) 3038-18
www.codematix.de

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 19:22:23 +0000

Hi,

On Tue, 2024-01-23 at 14:54 +0100, Holger Schiebold wrote:
> it seems that again armadillo major update in epel (this time from 10
> to  12) breaks the gdal3* packages in postgres yum repos (RHEL 8 and
> 9), so  we cannot use  certain packages from postgres el repositories
> and yum  update on machines with both repositories is broken.
> 

This has been fixed already in GDAL 3.6.4-6 RPMs.

> completely against the el way of things? Was this ever discussed with 

RHEL also do such updates with LLVM and CLANG, already broke poppler and
armadillo in the past, so my job is to rebuild the packages on our side
when such updates are released.

Regards,
-- 
Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, PostgreSQL Major Contributor
Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR

---

From: Holger Schiebold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 12:22:00 +0100

Hi Devrim and thanks for the info,

the problem for us is i.e. on RHEL8 machines in the data center where 
some times ago a former Version of postgis31_12 
(postgis31_12-0:3.1.9-1.rhel8.x86_64) with dependency gdal34-libs was 
installed - now the "yum update" in an automatic patchcycle fails 
because gdal36-libs is not an update of gdal34-libs.
So we have to manually remove an all machines the gdal34-libs and 
reinstall the postgis package with the alternativ dependency gdal36-libs 
- right?

On RHEL9 same problem with i.e. older installs of  
postgis31_12-0:3.1.7-1.rhel9.x86_64 - (yum deplist 
postgis31_12-0:3.1.7-1.rhel9.x86_64 | grep gdal) - where gdal33-libs as 
dependency came with it.
On RHEL9 i.e. we have machines with installed postgis30 too with only 
dependency to gdal33-libs. There we cannot use postgis30 anymore - only 
higher Versions as fresh installs. (this is normally not possible in a 
specified production environment)

All manually tasks has to be done by a lot of different admins at each 
stage in the data center (dev, test, int, prod)

So would it be possible to build alle the gdal3* alternatives (gdal33, 
34, 35 ) too against the armadillo 12? Only in that case the next "yum 
update" is not broken - we think. Otherwise these Versions and postgis30 
in RHEL9 i.e. in the postgres yum repo must be considered as broken - 
right?

best regards

Holger

mit freundlichen Grüßen

-- 
Holger Schiebold

____________________
codematix GmbH
Felsbachstrasse 5/7
D-07745 Jena
Tel. +49 (3641) 3038-18
www.codematix.de