Subject: SLES 15 SP6 support is now available

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2024 00:28:58 +0300

Hi,

Just pushed packages built against SLES 15 SP6 to zypp.postgresql.org.
All default links now point to 15.6 . Packages for SLES 15 SP5 are still
available.

Regards, 
-- 
Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, PostgreSQL Major Contributor
Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR

---

From: Zaid Shabbir <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2024 10:28:47 +0500

Hello Devrim,

I am trying to install PostgreSQL 16.3 on SLES 16 SP6. After the successful
installation and cluster initialization i am not able to start the cluster
due to /run/postgresql not found. It looks like we forgot to bundle the
required directory.

2024-07-31 05:22:47.841 UTC   [1717]LOG:  listening on IPv4 address
"127.0.0.1", port 5432

2024-07-31 05:22:47.843 UTC   [1717]FATAL:  could not create lock file
"/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": No such file or directory

2024-07-31 05:22:47.846 UTC   [1717]LOG:  database system is shut down

Regards,

Zaid

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2024 17:58:44 +0300

Hi Zaid,

On Wed, 2024-07-31 at 10:28 +0500, Zaid Shabbir wrote:
> I am trying to install PostgreSQL 16.3 on SLES 16 SP6. After the
> successful installation and cluster initialization i am not able to
> start the cluster due to /run/postgresql not found.

What is the output of

rpm -qa|grep postgresql ?

Regards,

---

From: Zaid Shabbir <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2024 20:10:55 +0500

Comments inline ..

> rpm -qa|grep postgresql ?

 rpm -qa|grep postgresql

postgresql-16-lp155.5.30.noarch

postgresql16-16.3-lp155.26.1.x86_64

postgresql-server-16-lp155.5.30.noarch
postgresql16-server-16.3-lp155.26.1.x86_64

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2024 18:11:51 +0300

Hi,

> postgresql16-server-16.3-lp155.26.1.x86_64

They are not our packages. Please run

zypper refresh

and try again. Our packages have PGDG tag.

Regards,

---

From: Zaid Shabbir <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2024 14:45:23 +0500

Hello Devrim,

You are right. My initial installation was done through the SUSE LLC vendor
repository because it is built in. After refreshing, it is now working fine
and picking up the latest postgresql16-server package from the pgdg
repository.

For the installation, I am following the steps outlined on
https://zypp.postgresql.org/howtozypp/. Current steps written with some
breaks like SLES 15 SP 6: SLES 15 SP 5: SLES 12: etc. These steps look
good, but is it possible to make the installation steps more interactive,
like those on other platforms?

https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/

Thanks

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2024 16:53:07 +0300

Hi,

> postgresql16-server-16.3-lp155.26.1.x86_64

BTW this was my fault -- I accidentally excluded PostgreSQL RPMs built
against SP6 while uploading the new packages. Noticed that while testing
on a fresh VM after your email. Sorry about the inconvenience and thanks
for the quick test!

Cheers,

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2024 18:03:17 +0300

Hi,

> https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/

That part is under website team's control. I will email to -www
tomorrow.

Regards,