Subject: CentOS Stream support

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 10:19:24 +0100

Hi,

Preface first: I'm working on CentOS Stream support (not sure how much
effort it will require in the next few months, but we'll see)

So... The question is: What will be the $dist suffix for CentOS Stream?
Upstream is using .el8 as usual. I wanted to do something else, just to
make sure that when someone has problems, we can make sure that they
are using our Stream repo, not the non-stream repo (I know we can get
that info from rpm -qi -> BuildHost, but...)

What do you think of adding pgstream8 (or just stream8?) as a suffix?
This won't require much work from packaging and maintenance side. I
want to make sure that gdal32-3.2.2-5 of RHEL 8 != gdal32-3.2.2-5 of
Stream 8.

Comments?

Regards,
-- 
Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer
Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR

---

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 11:42:35 +0200

Re: Devrim Gündüz
> want to make sure that gdal32-3.2.2-5 of RHEL 8 != gdal32-3.2.2-5 of

Maybe pgdg8 ?

Christoph

---

From: Laurenz Albe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 11:53:42 +0200

> > want to make sure that gdal32-3.2.2-5 of RHEL 8 != gdal32-3.2.2-5 of

Hmm.  That wouldn't allow to distinguish between distributions.

But short is good, so I'd prefer "stream8" or even "strm8".

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

---

From: Daniel Farina <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 20:19:38 -0700

> effort it will require in the next few months, but we'll see)

I have a question about this: I'm somewhat charitably disposed to
stream, but wonder how to deal with changes to, say, libc collations.
Will people upgrade one day to find their indexes inconsistent?

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 20:01:07 +0100

Hi,

> Will people upgrade one day to find their indexes inconsistent?

Use ICU? I mean, Stream is already a risk, but looks like there will be
some people using it there -- so I'll provide packages and leave the
rest to the users.

Regards,