Subject: pgdg-common (RHEL9): recent removal of PostGIS-related RPMs (gdal, geos, proj, sfcgal)

From: Xin Ma <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2026 15:03:48 -0700

Hi,

I recently noticed that a number of packages have been removed from the
pgdg-common repository for RHEL9
(https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/common/redhat/rhel-9-x86_64/),
in particular several PostGIS build/runtime dependencies. The ones I've
identified so far are:

- gdal: gdal34, gdal39
- proj: proj82, proj95
- geos: geos310, geos311, geos313
- SFCGAL: SFCGAL 1.4.1, SFCGAL 2.0.0

I would like to pin gdal, geos, and proj to fixed versions, because I've
found that any upgrade to these dependencies very likely breaks PostGIS
regression tests. I have had to download the removed RPMs from elsewhere to
keep things working — for example MIT's mirror at
https://postgresql.csail.mit.edu/repos/yum/common/redhat/rhel-9.6-x86_64.

I also noticed that some of the removed packages are active and not
end-of-life. For example, GEOS lists supported releases at
https://libgeos.org/usage/download/ ("Any releases not in this list are
end-of-life (EOL)"), and the removed versions — geos310, geos311, geos313 —
are all still on that supported list.

Could someone share some context on this?
1. Is there a reason these packages were removed?
2. Are they expected to be restored, or is there a recommended
upstream/mirror I should be pointing at going forward?

Any guidance would be much appreciated. Happy to provide more detail on
what I observed if useful.

Thanks,
Xin

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2026 10:55:12 +0100

Hi Xin,

On Thu, 2026-06-25 at 15:03 -0700, Xin Ma wrote:
> I recently noticed that a number of packages have been removed from
> the pgdg-common repository for RHEL9

<snip>

Tracker is here:

https://github.com/pgdg-packaging/pgdg-rpms/issues/210

Regards,
-- 
Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, PostgreSQL Major Contributor
BlueSky: @devrim.gunduz.org , @gunduz.org

---

From: Xin Ma <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2026 09:49:52 -0700

Hi Devrim,

  Thanks a lot for the quick response and for pointing me to the tracker.
  I will try and verify the RHEL 9.6 repo attached in the email for now,
and will switch back to the latest repo once all files are copied.

  Thanks again,
  Xin