Subject: Issue with postgresql-9.4 init.d script

From: Hima Mahi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 16:36:44 +0530

Hi,

Earlier in 9.2 version, init.d script was exporting and using PGPORT for db
server start. In 9.4 that option has been removed. It creates issue in case
if some other PGPORT variable is set to some value. Then it uses thats
value and fails to start.

Regards,
Himanchali.

---

From: Jeff Frost <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 07:34:37 -0700

> 
> On Aug 20, 2015, at 4:06 AM, Hima Mahi <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Earlier in 9.2 version, init.d script was exporting and using PGPORT for db server start. In 9.4 that option has been removed. It creates issue in case if some other PGPORT variable is set to some value. Then it uses thats value and fails to start.

I think our opinion with that change was that people should be setting the port in the postgresql.conf file.

---

From: Hima Mahi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 20:08:06 +0530

The issue is if some other application has set PGPORT in environment
variable, it reads that. It doesn't check the port mentioned in
postgresql.conf.
For example in my case, We have PostgresPlus advanced server setup on some
port and this variable is set. Now , postgresql 9.4 is reading that
variable and not the port mentioned in postgresql.conf. Thus , server start
fails.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 8:04 PM, Jeff Frost <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Earlier in 9.2 version, init.d script was exporting and using PGPORT for
> db server start. In 9.4 that option has been removed. It creates issue in
> case if some other PGPORT variable is set to some value. Then it uses thats

---

From: Hima Mahi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 20:31:16 +0530

Hi,

Please avoid my last mail. The port was commented in postgresql.conf,
that's why it was not picking from there. On uncommenting it , its
overriding PGPORT and working fine.

---

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 13:11:47 +0300

Hi,

On Thu, 2015-08-20 at 20:08 +0530, Hima Mahi wrote:
> For example in my case, We have PostgresPlus advanced server setup on 
> some port and this variable is set. Now , postgresql 9.4 is reading 
> that variable and not the port mentioned in postgresql.conf. Thus , 
> server start fails.

That is EDB's preference over packaging. We removed that intentionally,
because people had to change in two places at some point.

So just change the port in postgresql.conf -- that is all.

Regards,

-- 
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Principal Systems Engineer @ EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Danışmanı/Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer
Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR

-- 
Sent via pgsql-pkg-yum mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-pkg-yum