Subject: Dependencies for PostGIS 3.4 for PG v16 on Fedora 38 seem wrong

From: Laurenz Albe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 09:13:49 +0200

The dependencies look like this on my machine:

> rpm -q --requires postgis34_16 | grep geos
geos311 >= 3.11.2
libgeos_c.so.1()(64bit)

> rpm -q --requires postgis34_16 | grep gdal
gdal36-libs >= 3.6.3
libgdal.so.32()(64bit)

> rpm -q --requires gdal36-libs | grep geos
geos312
libgeos_c.so.1()(64bit)

So postgis34_16 depends on both GEOS 3.11 and GEOS 3.12.
One dependency is direct, the other is via GDAL.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

---

From: Laurenz Albe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2023 18:49:37 +0200

> One dependency is direct, the other is via GDAL.

Seems to be fixed in RC1; thanks.

I am pretty sure that this report is the same problem, so that should
also be fixed:

https://postgr.es/m/617fd0c7f2418b62db2e72acfcbf248af99c4576.camel%40cybertec.at

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

---

From: Laurenz Albe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 15:51:22 +0200

> https://postgr.es/m/617fd0c7f2418b62db2e72acfcbf248af99c4576.camel%40cybertec.at

No, sorry, PostGIS 3.4 for PG v16 is *still broken*.

With GA only 10 days away, I think this should really be addressed.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 14:19:23 +0100

Hi Laurenz,

That stack is completely broken, and I'm trying my best before v16 is
out.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

Regards, Devrim

-- 
Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, PostgreSQL Major Contributor
Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR

---

From: Timothy Kempisty - NOAA Federal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 14:09:48 -0400

I am having similar problems on the RHEL8 repo.  Everything is broken.
Multiple geos dependencies means the postgis_raster extension is broken.
If I try to use the latest postgis34 packages, then it only brings in
geos312.  That part works, but the problem becomes gdal36.
 gdal36-python-tools brings in  EPEL's python3-gdal instead of PGDG
gdal36-python3 from pgdg-common.

The python module "osgeo_utils" only comes with the PGDG gdal36-python3
package.  That means gdal36_python-tools / gdal_calc.py is dead.  I can't
install gdal36-python3 on top of python3-gdal to get the osgeo_utils,
because the packages conflict.

I have a big infrastructure as code project that relies on the PGDG RHEL8
repo.  GDAL, postgis_raster, gdal-python-tools....   it worked earlier this
month, but it's now dead in the water.  Do we have a timeline here?  Am I
stuck retooling this to build geos, gdal, and postgis from source?

-Tim

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 18:28:17 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, 2023-09-28 at 14:09 -0400, Timothy Kempisty - NOAA Federal
> I am having similar problems on the RHEL8 repo.  Everything is broken.
<snip>

Just started rebuilding PostGIS 3.3, 3.2 and 3.1 against the same PROJ
and GDAL versions. They will be out in a few hours. Apologies for the
inconvenience.

Regarding GDAL+Python issues: I'll push a fix for that one tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay.

Regards,