Subject: Problem with Libevent updating from CentOS 6.7 to 6.8, PostgreSQL 9.3

From: Paul Coen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 12:38:14 -0400

I'm seeing what I believe to be a similar problem to:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1403098731.14178.6.camel%40asus-laptop-03.gunduz.org

My system:

# uname -a
Linux cs.drew.edu 2.6.32-573.18.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Feb 9 22:46:17 UTC
2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
# lsb_release -a
LSB Version:
 :base-4.0-amd64:base-4.0-noarch:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch:graphics-4.0-amd64:graphics-4.0-noarch:printing-4.0-amd64:printing-4.0-noarch
Distributor ID: CentOS
Description:    CentOS release 6.7 (Final)
Release:        6.7
Codename:       Final

It's happening on a few systems with CentOS 6.7 and pgsql 9.3 installed
from the 9.3 repo. We've got a couple of packages that only support 9.3.

In my case, yum is failing with:

Transaction Check Error:
  file /usr/bin/event_rpcgen.py from install of
libevent-devel-2.0.19-1.rhel6.x86_64 conflicts with file from package
compat-libevent14-1.4.13-1.rhel6.x86_64
  file /usr/lib64/libevent_core.a from install of
libevent-devel-2.0.19-1.rhel6.x86_64 conflicts with file from package
compat-libevent14-1.4.13-1.rhel6.x86_64
  file /usr/lib64/libevent_core.so from install of
libevent-devel-2.0.19-1.rhel6.x86_64 conflicts with file from package
compat-libevent14-1.4.13-1.rhel6.x86_64
  file /usr/lib64/libevent_extra.a from install of
libevent-devel-2.0.19-1.rhel6.x86_64 conflicts with file from package
compat-libevent14-1.4.13-1.rhel6.x86_64
  file /usr/lib64/libevent_extra.so from install of
libevent-devel-2.0.19-1.rhel6.x86_64 conflicts with file from package
compat-libevent14-1.4.13-1.rhel6.x86_64

I'm wondering if the compat-libevent14 problem that apparently existed in
the 9.4 and 9.5 repo is also present in 9.3? If so, is it possible to get
that fixed? Otherwise, any reasonable, low-risk workarounds?

--
Paul Coen, Senior Systems Architect
Drew University, Madison NJ

---

From: Paul Coen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 15:07:56 -0400

I poked around and came up with a workaround that seems to take care of it
on CentOS 6.7 at least:

# yum shell --disablerepo=pgdg93
remove libevent
install libevent2
run

Seems to be working fine. I was able to update one of the systems. Next
time, I'll wait until after I've eaten lunch before firing off a message.
Hopefully, the solution is useful to someone else.

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 12:38 PM, Paul Coen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1403098731.
> 14178.6.camel%40asus-laptop-03.gunduz.org
>
> My system:
>
> # uname -a
> Linux cs.drew.edu 2.6.32-573.18.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Feb 9 22:46:17
> UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> # lsb_release -a
> LSB Version:    :base-4.0-amd64:base-4.0-noarch:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.
> 0-noarch:graphics-4.0-amd64:graphics-4.0-noarch:printing-
> 4.0-amd64:printing-4.0-noarch
> Distributor ID: CentOS

-- 
<http://www.drew.edu/>
  *Paul Coen <http://www.drew.edu/directory/?q=email:pcoen>* | Senior
Systems Architect & Instructional Technology Consultant | University
Technology <http://www.drew.edu/ut>
Drew University | 36 Madison Ave | Madison, NJ 07940
973-408-3035 <9734083035> | drew.edu <http://www.drew.edu/> |
@DrewUniversity <https://twitter.com/DrewUniversity>