Subject: attempted repost: discussion around a change from 9.4.1-1 ?

From: "..: Mark Sloan :.." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 11:50:21 -0600

i'm trying to understand more about this change since it, seems to have
unpleasant results during a yum update when there are multiple server
versions installed on a machine at the same time.

* Tue Feb 03 2015 Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]> - 9.4.1-1PGDG
- Update to 9.4.1, per changes described at:
  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/release-9-4-1.html

*- Improve .bash_profile, and let users specify their own  environmental
settings by sourcing an external file, called  ~/.pgsql_profile. Per
request from various users, and final  suggestion from Martin Gudmundsson.*

that it wiped out the ~postgres/.bash_profile that existed too, which
caught some of my peers by surprise.

I realize this was 'a long time ago' and they should have raised the
concern sooner but I'm just trying to educate myself on the discussion
around this first.

basically, i'm trying to understand what people should be doing
differently, and what the perceived upside to the community is.

-Mark

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 21:01:19 +0300

Hi Mark,

This change actually tried to help users who have multiple versions installed.
Instead of using .bash_profile and wiping it everytime, we asked users to have
.pgsql_profile (something we invented) and push all customization there.

However, there is a packaging bug in 9.5 that used to overwrite .bash_profile:

https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/1215

We fixed it in 9.6, and 9.5.4-2. This bug does not exist in latest 9.4, too. So
after you upgrade to latest minor versions, and put all your customization into
.pgsql_profile, you should be good to go.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if you have questions/comments.

Regards, Devrim

-- 
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Danışmanı/Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer
Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR